help installing my pellet fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodtopellets

Feb 10, 2009
buffalo,ny
Hello all, I just bought a used Lopi foxfire insert for my fireplace. I am new to the pellet stove so I have a few questions.

1. My fireplace has a heatilator in it. Do I need any special piping to get around the damper, or can I just remove the damper.

2. Do I need to vent to the top of the original masonary chimney or can I go part of the way up.

I will take any help I can get with this. I would like to install it on my own , but want to learn a bit about it first. Unfortunetly I do not have any model # for the stove yet, But it is a Lope Foxfire. Appr a 1995.

woodtopellets said:
Hello all, I just bought a used Lopi foxfire insert for my fireplace. I am new to the pellet stove so I have a few questions.

1. My fireplace has a heatilator in it. Do I need any special piping to get around the damper, or can I just remove the damper.

You may want to do a forum search for "pellet stove in a heatilator" because I'm
not positive, but think I recall reading that you can't install a stove in one.
Again, do a forum search and I'm sure you will find pertinent info.
G'luck!

I dont think that I have an actual heatilator. I just have 4 vents through the masonry on the outside of the firebox, that pull the cold air in from the bottom and radiate the warm air out the top. I thought it was a heatilator but was told that it is not. I guess I dont know the technical name of it. I was trying to find a picture to post but couldnt find one.

dont think that I have an actual heatilator. I just have 4 vents through the masonry on the outside of the firebox, that pull the cold air in from the bottom and radiate the warm air out the top. I thought it was a heatilator but was told that it is not. I guess I dont know the technical name of it. I was trying to find a picture to post but couldnt find one.

Profile PM

I have this also in my fireplace as far as I know it does nothing with my insert installed, maybe if you had a roaring fire going in the fireplace. I removed my dampner and ran a 5 ft. flex duct 3' in diameter down the chimney attached to 9 ft. of regular 3" duct. Depending on your height and #of fittings and kind you may need 4". I than connected the flex duct to the insert and sealed the chimney around the old dampner area with rockwool. Was not hard at all. I stopped mine 3ft. short of the top and get a little soot the last 3 ft which I vacumn out in the early fall.

Thanks Really Hot, that was the way I was hoping to do it actually. I just spoke to the guy I bought it from and he said all he had was the flex pipe up into the existing chimney about 5 ft. I think i will run it the whole way through though, just to be safe. Thanks for all the help!!

If you have a regular chimney then you can use a chimney liner kit like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-X-25-Stainless-Steel-Chimney-Liner-Kit-Pellet-Stove_W0QQitemZ360130853802QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360130853802&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I used something similar to this and it work great. The pipe is very flexible and will let you go around objects (to a point). Just make sure you have a regular chimney though.

Its an easy installation that will allow you to go all the way up your chimney. I have been told though that this pipe is only for use in standard chimneys that are either lined with steel or brick. The other thing to do is check with HVAC or stove supply houses as this is a common product. We found this kit at an HVAC supply for just a bit more than the ebay site. Sometimes it's worth paying a bit extra to buy locally and be able to exchange the product if you need to. The thing I like about these kits is that everything you need is included. Stainless parts really add up if you buy them piece to piece.

Perfect! Other than basic hand tools, you will need some basic tin snips and the only power tool needed is a drill. Also, get a roll of high quality metal tape to make any seals that you need. The fireproof caulk is good but very hard to remove when you need to work on your stove or attach the pipe to your stove. Best bet is to make any seals with a very light coat of the fire caulk and then wrap it with metal tape. Also remember that you will have to buy the outside air kit separately if you are going to use one. We ran our air intake into the chimney and it works fine. Have fun with your project and let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.