Help!! Is this a Crosthwaite's patent stove -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou logan

Aug 23, 2015
Inverness
Hello everyone!
I've just moved into a new cabin and have found what I think is a crosthwaite's stove? Can anyone help me as to a date / history / rough value? I've brought my own stove with me and so will be hoping to rehome it!!
Thanks a million for any help!
Lou

image.jpg image.jpg

Welcome. A picture of the whole stove might help someone in the region make a better ID.

Yes, that should help. In the states that installation would be in serious code violation. Old stoves like this need 36" clearances or proper vented wall shielding to reduce clearances to 12" on sides and back.

Yes, that should help. In the states that installation would be in serious code violation. Old stoves like this need 36" clearances or proper vented wall shielding to reduce clearances to 12" on sides and back.
It breaks every regulation I know of!! No, the previous owner of the cabin was lucky not to burn it down, hence it's never EVER been lit since I took over a few weeks back! My stove is getting fitted with it's double insulation pipes, proper hearth and spark cap (I've had stoves and my stove for 30 years and it's very special to me!) and this one is looking for a new home with someone who look after it and site it properly and safely, really looking forward to finding out about this one though - it's history and maybe how old it is, so I can find it a home!

Plate leaning on the legs showing the Crosthwaite Patent looks like it could be from a fireplace enclosure that I found on-line in a trade ad. Crosthwaite appears to have been on government committees or groups researching how to reduce indoor smoke from cooking stoves and fireplaces in the late 1800s.
http://www.lookandlearn.com/history...earch=Crosthwaite's+Patent+Stoves&bool=phrase

No other marks on the stove itself beside the inside door?

Sadly not, I've looked everywhere, (inside, outside and under) and the door is the only place with any marking of any kind! Any thoughts?

Where are the two decorative plates from? Do they fit in the interior of the stove or did they some how affix to the stove body? Maybe they don't belong with the current stove, hard to say without knowing more about Crosthwaite stoves over here. Maybe try antique stove restorers in England or Scotland?

Here's a little historical help on the company:
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/R._W._Crosthwaite

Last edited:
The plate doesn't seem to fit the stove and I think the idea above that it was originally part of a fire place might be right - therefore the only markings are on the door - W DVR
PART NO 5337 EN
LED OR
As per the first pic? Any ideas from anyone what that could mean? Lovely stove though!!

Just a guess but W DVR may stand for Welcome Dover which was an old cook stove maker. The stove looks a bit more utilitarian and perhaps more recent. With the pot rails I was wondering if it was built for use on boats?
It looks to be in somewhat patched shape if that is furnace cement on the rear left seam. My guess is that it leaks air badly.

Ahhh, I hadn't thought of that (use on a boat), it does have a bit of patching but seems remarkably solid still, how on earth it ended in the cabin I have no idea!! I've not used it at all but when I looked at the place (to buy it) it was on and seemed fine apart from the obvious regulation issues ( flue and spacing from walls) I'll look into the maker you mention - welcome drover

Rainy day and should be cleaning but avoidance occurring... This place has all the fireplace surrounds and mantles I've ever coveted. Things of beauty!
http://www.britainsheritage.co.uk/antique-fireplaces/stoves-and-antique-surrounds.htm

If you send them the same photos, I'm sure they can give you an idea on your stove origins and what the Crosthwaite plate comes from.

What kind of temps do you have in Inverness this time of year?

Status
Not open for further replies.