help keeping fireplace lit valor 736xn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpartridge

Nov 9, 2007
Vancouver BC
I know first thing you think is thermocouple, me too, the house inspector said so too after testing it.
I replaced the thermo, and it stayed lit for about 3-4 hours, then would not stay re-lit again. To test the inspector cut and crossed the two blue wires going to the top of the vent SW, I tried this now too, and replaced the thermo again today thinking it was bad. I can now light the pilot but it will not stay lit. I am now confused but refuse to call a service tech for what should be a very simple problem.
Any suggestions would be fantastic
Thanks Craig

Is your pilot flame lifting? Put a meter lead on the outside of the thermocouple and the solder joint for the magnet and see what the voltage does when the pilot drops.

I am not familiar with your specific fireplace but I have worked on plenty of gas units, with a brand new thermocouple and the pilot wont stay lit, usually means the solenoid in the valve wont hold anymore. Might need a new valve. Make sure the thermocouple is tight also.

Status
Not open for further replies.