HELP: Ledera/Nova Install - Fresh Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyd

Jun 15, 2009
Hi everyone,

I've been progressing well with my new install and I'm ready to reface. Been splitting the work with the installer for a lot of the cavity prep etc. He's already put the unit and chimney in. Finish line is in sight.

I did however notice something odd with the fresh air intake at the bottom of the unit. If anyone is familiar with the BIS or the Ledera, can you let me know if this looks right?

The cover/knockout for the FAI does not appear to be there. This does not make sense to me. Was there a step missed? Installer seems to think that's the way it shoud be but I think there should be a cover on the inside (see pictures).

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 181
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 180
It's hard to tell from the pics but I think I know what you did. The cover plate you took off is to be put on to cover the hole. You need to do this before you attach the pipe. I think you may be able to put it on from the inside but it needs to be sealed of to work correctly.
The reason you have to do this is because the OAK is optional and the air would be drawn from the room. Hope this helps.

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for the input - looks like we missed a step indeed (and for your repsonse on my other thread about the BIS vs Ladera). We are going to take the approach from the inside rather than meddle with the flex hose already there - as you can see there is very little room to manouvere.

How familiar are you with these units ? Sounds like you know your way around them. Any thoughts on how well the ancillary heat distribution options work - gravity ducts and FA ducting ? I've talked to many a people who suggest the performance is overrated and not necessarily worth the extra money. My chase construction probably would not work for a gravity vent but the FA option is intriguing to heat the far side bedroom.

TIA

I think if you take the floor out, that's how you service the blower, then you should get to it easy I think.
I don't like the gravity ducts at all. Too much heat goes up them and not enough out the front. The forced air heating kit is pretty good because it pulls the warm air from the unit with a fan. The duct hooks up on the side about half way down by means of a 5" hole. Heat only comes out when the fan is on. Just remember it no longer qualifies as EPA certified if you go that route. I guess it cools the firebox off too much for a hot clean burn.
PS don't forget to buy the thermo disk for the fan that's in the f/p and variable speed control cuz they are optional.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.