Help looking for right wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburner427

Nov 28, 2014
Tennessee
I'm new to this site and I have a simple question hopefully someone can answer. Can you purchase a stove now days with a glass door that allows you to see the fire as well as one that emits some smoke out of your stovepipe? I realize that the stoves made now are suppose to re burn the smoke to make it more efficient, but for some reason I've always loved seeing a little smoke coming out of your chimney or stove pipe in the winter. It just makes your house look a little more cozy in my opinion. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

I'm new to this site and I have a simple question hopefully someone can answer. Can you purchase a stove now days with a glass door that allows you to see the fire as well as one that emits some smoke out of your stovepipe? I realize that the stoves made now are suppose to re burn the smoke to make it more efficient, but for some reason I've always loved seeing a little smoke coming out of your chimney or stove pipe in the winter. It just makes your house look a little more cozy in my opinion. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Personally, I love going outside and seeing no/very little smoke. With an efficient insert, I know I'm getting the most out of my wood. When I see smoky chimneys, I figure they're using a lowly fireplace.

Last edited:
HehHeh . . . I guess I can understand that picture perfect winter scene painting with a house with a thin tendril of smoke coming out of the chimney having a certain appeal.

That said . . . I kinda like the idea of burning more efficiently and cleanly . . . and burning less wood . . . I get some smoke on start ups and reloads . . . and that's enough for me. Like Spletz I get a real kick out of seeing no smoke from the chimney and realizing that I have opened a Portal to Hell in my woodstove.

Reactions: Spletz
There is an easy way to get smoke from any stove: "Burn" wet wood. However, please be aware of the following:

1. Smoke coming out from the chimney means you will get creosote accumulation in your flue. More creosote may lead to a chimney fire that could burn down your house. Clean your chimney often.
2. Smoke means unburnt fuel. You are wasting heat up your chimney.
3. Your neighbors may not be such enamored by your aesthetic preference. Not just because smoke is a nuisance but it has also been shown to exacerbate asthma and other respiratory illnesses. Here is just one recent study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22302628

I understand your question in terms of the "look." I can tell you as a newer wood burner I had plenty of smoke the first few weeks and occasionally still do as this is a learning process. In time you find yourself going outside to look for the right look- that is nothing to see at all. That means you are burning very efficiently. If you looking for a certain look with the stove there are lots of choices. I like the traditional cast iron stoves but that is me. To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.