Help - Lopi Leyden snap disc 120 degree NO vs 200 degree NC question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MACD

Sep 13, 2011
Mass.
Hello,

My Lopi Leyden was acting up last season in that it would get up to temp nicely then the convection blower would quit. After cooling down, the blower would resume after about 15 minutes. I have read about snap disc failures and decided to buy both a 120 degree normally open and a 200 degree normally closed disc – both OEM Travis parts.

As I do every Sept. I pulled the stove away from the vent pipe, thoroughly cleaned/vac’d the stove, removing all the internal parts, removed the back panels and blew compressed air and vac’d all parts, and cleaned the vent pipe.

The attached pic is from the rear of the stove looking at the convection blower. In my stove, both the disc to the left and right of the blower shown circled in yellow are labeled L200, neither one shows L120 on the label as a 120 deg disc would show. This is confusing.

My question is which of these two discs is the 200 deg hopper disc (aka high limit switch) and which one is the 120 deg low limit disc? Also is this 120 deg low limit disc = safety snap disc? I want to make sure I put this back together correctly and safely. Help/advice appreciated from pellet pros.

Thanks.

image(4).jpeg

Just look at the switch label - the temperature is printed on it.

Pastera,

I know, but they BOTH read L200, I think one of them is supposed to be 120 and I'm not sure which one goes in which location.

Thx.

Hello
Here is the info you need from the Travis Pellet Troubleshooting manual. :)

System Disk:
Porcelain Snap
Disk F-120° F (N. O.)

Safety Hopper
Disk: Snap Disk
L-200° F (N. C.)

Convection Chamber
Disk (Large Appliances)
L-200° F (N. C.)

Don,

Thanks for your reply. I have that manual, but the Leyden user manual shows this for snap disc replacement parts:

SNAP-DISC - 120deg CERAMIC # - NORMALLY OPEN 100-00232
(I assume this is the system disc)
SNAP-DISC - 120deg NO # - NORMALLY OPEN 100-00231
(Convection chamber disc? shown as 120deg in user manual and 200deg in Travis PelletTroubleshooting manual)
- this is my confusion.

SNAP-DISC - 200deg NC # - NORMALLY CLOSED 100-00233
(I assume this is the hopper disc/high limit switch)

-see what I mean?
Thanks.

Hello

Yes, the system disc is the white ceramic one on the exhaust blower housing

Yes, the hopper snap is the 200 deg high limit swtch.

Now I see the confusion.

That is the safety snap disc on large Travis pellet stoves only. The wire diagram shows a red and orange wire on it.
It is N.O. Normally open and closes on temperature rise.

Anyone have an idea what this snap disc does? That would help. The older large stoves do not have it so when the board is updated it is jumpered out.

If I were you, I would send email to the Travis support techs.
They will know the answer!
"Sean Hanley" <[email protected]>
[email protected]

Good luck

See red arrow.

Attachments

• TravisExtraSnapDiscLargeStoves.jpg
    TravisExtraSnapDiscLargeStoves.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,131
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.