Help me choose a Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ripped out the old....

Moved pipes (buried the PVC vent pipe from bathroom below in wall, moved outside air to back corner), and added a new duct to blow warm air to bedroom below on 1st floor (the stove is going on 2nd floor), and new 6" Class A SS chimney installed. Framed new walsl and hearth area. Durarock and slate going in this week.

Woodstock, get my stove shipped, I'll be ready for it next week! ;)

Attachments

• tear out1_resize.JPG
    tear out1_resize.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Framed_resize.JPG
    Framed_resize.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 155
With the current plan I'd be concerned about the wood header going across the top of the stove and the proximity of the flue connector to that header and wall. The connector needs a minimum of 6" for double-wall, but I am much more comfortable with doubling that in an enclosed heat trap that the current design appears to create above the stove. Don't underestimate the heat this stove can put out.

FYI, the stove pipe to tripple wall pipe flue connector clearance at the entrance to a wall/ceiling is only 2" believe it or not. And actually, the flue connector is a small metal "box" with an inch or 2 of air around it which is framed into your ceiling with regular wood framing. I'd worry about that framing before anything else.... ;)

Attachments

• connector box_resize.JPG
    connector box_resize.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 156
Looks like you've done your research! Woodstoves piped thru wood-framed chases just scare the sh*t out of me.

Looks like you've done your research! Woodstoves piped thru wood-framed chases just scare the sh*t out of me.

Stone don't burn.

How else would you do it? unless your in a mason chimeny...?

I was suprised the chimney installer said he normally just screwed the bottom of that black box directly into the wood and that is how the direction on it show it done. I did not lke that, so I had hm space it down 1/2 to 3/4", so I can get the durarock under it, and then screw it down to the durarock instead. Just seems much safer that way.

Not saying it's unsafe, as you're clearly doing it right. Just a personal mental hurdle for me... putting a woodstove in a wood house, with the chimney plumbed into a chase surrounded by 2x4 framing! !!!

Yes, I know it's how it's done most of the time, and it's all safe and legal. I do like your idea of using the Durock to space off the wood, even though the manufacturer says you could do otherwise. I'd likely be doing the same.

Not saying it's unsafe, as you're clearly doing it right. Just a personal mental hurdle for me... putting a woodstove in a wood house, with the chimney plumbed into a chase surrounded by 2x4 framing! !!!

Yes, I know it's how it's done most of the time, and it's all safe and legal. I do like your idea of using the Durock to space off the wood, even though the manufacturer says you could do otherwise. I'd likely be doing the same.

Almost EVERY through the ceiling instal, goes right through one of those interface boxes, and they are designed for that exact use. Ours doesn't go through a wood framed spot, but I sure wouldn't be worried about it. My chase is brick on 3 sides, but it's not continuous up the house side. Just framing/foam board and insulation batts between the "house" and the triple wall.. 2" clearance met. (it's about 4 times that)

Gotcha, and I'm with ya! It is a bit scary looking when your thinking about some of the temps that can be in there. I'm not only following clearances and specs, I'm extending them a bit for my own peace of mind, for the same reasons. ;)

Could it be? What's getting loaded into the back of my truck?

Attachments

• Loading croped.JPG
    Loading croped.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 150
Closing thread, story had a happy ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.