help me choose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
which one is better? is one built better than the other?

1299 at depot
http://www.swisherinc.com/LS722.asp

1099 at tsc
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34400_-1______14455|14461|34400?listingPage=true&Special=false

thanks

no issue's that i have heard out of the 22 ton husky!

The two are very close. Is there a difference in the price?

The splitting block is larger on one than the other. One states a cast iron sleeve and I like the clutch drive to make it easier to start during winter months.

Our splitter has been trouble free and we've had it a long time. 22 tons is enough to get the job done too. Ours is a 20 ton.

the swisher is 1299 on clearance at the depot
tsc has the husky for 1099

i have heard good things about both just wondering if the swisher was that much better or even at all... it was 1799
so i was hoping someone would have the super tech info on them

maybe swisher is just trying to get more money?

or could it actually have "better " parts to justify the original price of 1799??

iceman said:
the swisher is 1299 on clearance at the depot
tsc has the husky for 1099

i have heard good things about both just wondering if the swisher was that much better or even at all... it was 1799
so i was hoping someone would have the super tech info on them

maybe swisher is just trying to get more money?

or could it actually have "better " parts to justify the original price of 1799??

seen to many husky 22 ton splitters working very well, I would save the extra bucks and beef up the saw.

What is the cyle time on each one? I say pick the faster one. :) I would also add some type of log cradle to either one.

rdust said:
What is the cyle time on each one? I say pick the faster one. :) I would also add some type of log cradle to either one.

dunno the actual cycle time but i do know each has a 11 gpm pump so i figured whatever it is its the same

jlow said:
This is the thread from when I was getting ready to buy my Huskee.

AFAIK Husky and Huskee are two different brands.

I think his original request is on the Huskee from Tractor Supply. That is the one I bought. What does AFAIK stand for? ( Not up on internet shorthand ).

AFAIK = as far as I know.

Yes, the link is to a Huskee but iceman mistakenly mentioned Husky.

iceman if your still deciding another consideration is follow up 'service and support' and imo that would be with TSC. Speeco support is very, very good.

guy just offered me a troybuilt 27 ton for 1000..... bought less than a year ago however he is a firewood guy who has done about 10+ cords with it ....

and depot told me they would take another 100 off the swisher to bring it to 1199 and i do have a 10% coupon BUT i believe huskee has hydraulic fluid in it already..... decisions

Ha!!!! be careful out there!!!!!!!! the guy with the troybuilt is selling wood.... but check it out he says he has over 115 cords!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now remember the splitter is less than a year old!!!! 115 cords would take me at least 10 years of splitting .......... prolly close to 20 years!!!

F THAT! so everybody be careful when looking for used splitters..... i could see if it was 5-700 bucks but i knew there had to be a reason why to get rid of it

update can get the troybuilt brand new from lowes 1399- 10% BUT COMES WITH fluids comepare that to the swisher and the swisher ends up costing more (2)
troy also comes with a honda engine... and has the table things on the side of it...........

tsc 22 ton $1171
troybuilt 27 ton $1322
swisher 22 ton $1324

what should i do? prices include 10% off at lowes and hd
i DONT have coupon  for tsc
all prices include tax and hydraulic fluid (if necessary)

iceman said:
update can get the troybuilt brand new from lowes 1399- 10% BUT COMES WITH fluids comepare that to the swisher and the swisher ends up costing more (2)
troy also comes with a honda engine... and has the table things on the side of it...........

tsc 22 ton $1171
troybuilt 27 ton $1322
swisher 22 ton $1324

what should i do? prices include 10% off at lowes and hd
i DONT have coupon  for tsc
all prices include tax and hydraulic fluid (if necessary)

I have done atleat 50 cords on my troy built inless than a year had to change out some bolts on the craddle thats it

would you buy another? or would you get something diff?

iceman said:
would you buy another? or would you get something diff?

no question if it got stolen i would buy another one

Get the Troybuilt from Lowe's it is a MTD splitter and they are fine. At least the 21 year old one sitting out back is. And they have that 90 day return policy that does work just like they say it does if you keep the receipt. I took a tractor back to them and they just handed me the money because they didn't have another one and I went down the road to another Lowe's and bought one that didn't backfire.

I have the 27 Ton Troy-Bilt, and have been pleased with it's performance.

can anyone identify this?????