Help me decide on a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodenlegs23

Dec 27, 2014
NJ
Hey just looking for some advice on what stove to buy. I have been looking primarily at Jotuls. Smaller house. Living room only about 375 square feet. Below is a picture of the unfinished renovation. Working around an old chimney/fireplace that had to be demo'd. So size is a factor. I like the F100 Nordic, and also the F 602 CB. The F118 looks awesome too but fear that it is too big for my place. About a 25' run up the chimney and the stove pipe will be entering the chimney horizontally. Any advice/opinions/critiques welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 190
Is the stove going in that small "alcove" on the left or is that for wood storage? Not sure if you have the clearances on the wall-side. What are its dimensions?

What area do you want to heat? Solely the living room or has the heat a chance to travel to other rooms? Be aware that a small stove will mean short burn times.

It is going in that small alcove. I had to build around the old chimney so that is the reason it is such a tight spot. However, I reduced clearances by putting up Mason board behind the brick and leaving air space between the wall and the Mason board and the Mason board and the brick so I know at the very least the F 602 CB will work. Directly to the right of that chimney is a 3 foot door opening into the kitchen. This is a small home and the hope is to heat the house up mostly after the work day until we go to sleep. Not absolutely necessary for an overnight burn.

Does that mean the alcove is at least 41" wide? (Fig. 14 in the manual)

Manual:
"When installed with a listed double wall pipe and with wall
protection, the Jøtul F 602 CB can be placed in an alcove
that has a minimum height of 96”1 and a maximum depth
of 48”, and a minimum width of 41”."

A proper heat shield needs to be raised 1" from the floor to allow airflow underneath and behind the shield. (Fig. 15) Did you raise that brick wall somehow?

image_zps1rqr5qkj.jpg

pic turned upright

So, the pipe will take a 90 degree turn to the right, and then another 90 to the left?

image_zps1rqr5qkj.jpg

pic turned upright

So, the pipe will take a 90 degree turn to the right, and then another 90 to the left?

No. The thimble you see is from the old chimney and will be filled. The stove pipe will come out of the top of the stove make a 90 degree right hand turn and go directly into the side of the chimney not the front of it.

Since bricks are 8 inches long, it looks like the alcove is 32 inches wide.

When I get home I will provide an exact measurement. If the F602 won't work it looks like the F118 would based on clearances in an alcove installation? A little bigger than I might need but could be fine to heat the whole house?

To improve the ventilation of that brick wall, you could take out some of the bricks on the bottom course. Drill a couple of 3/8 inch holes, side by side with a 3/8 masonry bit, get a masonry blade for the Sawzall. You could leave a brick, saw out half of a brick, leave a brick, saw out half of the next ect.

Was that alcove built to spec for a specific stove or built on speculation? The Jotul 602 has a minimum 12" per side clearance with rear heat shield and a proper, ventilated NFPA211 wall shield. This is not what I see here.

Venting into the side of the chimney also looks like a no go. Single wall pipe has a minimum 18" clearance, double-wall connector is 6".

What I would do is make the alcove a wood storage bin, then properly install a stove to the right of this setup on a proper hearth. No need for wall shielding if clearances are honored. If a reduction is desired then the wall shield needs to be properly ventilated.Or build out a hearth in front of the chimney. If you want to reduce hearth depth, install the stove sideways with the body parallel to the chimney.

The chimney almost certainly will need a ss liner.

Last edited:
That is a good idea. I might create more air space by doing that. What about shifting the stove to the right to get it closer to the brick only area of the alcove and away from the exterior wall to the left? Or what about using a heat shield for the stove on the left hand side of the stove? Shouldn't that, combined with the brick non-combustibles and mason board reduce the clearances to almost nothing?

See above. One needs to go by the stove manual's tested clearance requirements. Same for the connector pipe.

That is a good idea from begreen. Use the alcove for wood storage. Build a new hearth below the existing thimble and set the stove right beneath that thimble.

Was that alcove built to spec for a specific stove or built on speculation? The Jotul 602 has a minimum 12" per side clearance with rear heat shield and a proper, ventilated NFPA211 wall shield. This is not what I see here.

Venting into the side of the chimney also looks like a no go. Single wall pipe has a minimum 18" clearance, double-wall connector is 6".

What I would do is make the alcove a wood storage bin, then properly install a stove to the right of this setup on a proper hearth. No need for wall shielding if clearances are honored. If a reduction is desired then the wall shield needs to be properly ventilated.Or build out a hearth in front of the chimney. If you want to reduce hearth depth, install the stove sideways with the body parallel to the chimney.

The chimney almost certainly will need a ss liner.

Thanks begreen,

I was planning on using a double insulated pipe and have more than 6" to work with so why wouldn't entry into the side of the chimney work? Also, I will be purchasing an HD Flex Liner for the chimney itself. If I got the F118 would the clearances work in that alcove? Thanks,

Stove connector comes in two types - single wall and double wall. Double wall is air insulated. It has a minimum of 6" clearance to any combustible, 9" to a ceiling. How deep is the chimney?
If I got the F118 would the clearances work in that alcove?
No. They won't work for the F602 either.

Stove connector comes in two types - single wall and double wall. Double wall is air insulated. It has a minimum of 6" clearance to any combustible, 9" to a ceiling. How deep is the chimney?

No. They won't work for the F602 either.

Double wall insulated pipe with a minimum clearance of 6" should work. The chimney is 18" deep.

It's going to be close, right at minimum, but you can shield the wall for more peace of mind. That doesn't make the alcove any more proper unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.