Help me decide on a wood stove for my house. Thanks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianb42

Nov 5, 2008
NJ
Hello, Im new to the forum and new to wood burning stoves as well. I bought a house last october that had a wood stove in it (Scandia 308.)

I remodeled in the spring time and had to take it out. Im throwing around the idea of just buying a new one and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions.

The only stove store I went to was called Stoneworks in Medford NJ. They wanted to sell me the avalon pendleton stove. Installed they wanted around 3700.00. It seemed a bit expensive considering the stove is only 1800.00 from that particular store. I found much lower prices for the stove alone online. It heats a house from 600- 1200 sq feet.

I've read reviews online for that stove and have heard that it doesnt continually burn overnight. It only has a 1.3 cubic foot space. Should I be worried that it wont heat my house enough?

My house is only 1100 sq feet. Its a rancher with only 1 occupied bedroom.

Another person recommended the Osburn 1100. It has very similar specs, with a 1.5 cubic foot space.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I can handle the install myself. I'm a carpenter by trade and I have family members that are also in construction. Any advice on that would also be great.

Thanks a lot!!

If you are looking for an over night burn, my opinion is to look at stoves with a firebox of greater than 2.0 cu. ft. Now the sticky part is finding a stove that will do an over night burn, but not cook you our of your 1100 sqft. Maybe look into the soapstone stoves to help soften the heat curves a bit. They do a fine job of absorbing "excess" heat and radiating it back out as the firebox cools.

If you want more specifics - pics, measurements, house layout, insulation factor, etc. can help the members here to start naming names.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks helping folks (and a few nuts too)

Welcome. I know you'll enjoy having a new, efficient stove. I replaced the smoke dragon that was in my current house and couldn't be happier. Some questions for you when considering what size firebox you want. Do you want the stove to achieve overnight burns? Do you want the stove to serve as a primary source of heat or simply a supplemental source? If you answered yes to one or both of those questions, I would suggest that you look at slightly larger models with a firebox of at least 2 cf, especially if you want to achieve overnight burns. I have a small house too--1200 sf--the stove that I bought is a medium-sized stove with a firebox of 2 cf. I heat 24/7 with the stove and have been very happy with it so far--this is my first year with it. I get 7-hour overnight burns and have a nice bed of coals in the morning. Granted, we're not in the winter deep freeze yet, but our nighttime temps have been going down below freezing for the past month. I didn't spend a fortune on my stove and I installed it myself--total cost with optional blower kit and new pipe was right around $900. Since you're a carpenter and have family in the construction trade too who could help you, I think you'd be able to install it yourself. Just read up on clearance, etc. once you pick the model you want. Good luck.

Welcome! There are myriad choices of very fine stoves, so a good deal of research is warranted. The many knowledgeable folks here will be happy to help you any way they can. While you're thinking about a stove, I recommend you think about the entire stove "system"...stove, hearth, connector pipe, chimney...and how best to size, place & configure that system in your home. The other components of that system and how you bring it together are at least as important as the stove itself. You've embarked on a very interesting journey. Again, welcome to the forums! Rick

Yes, welcome to the forum.

Look long and hard at Woodstock, especially the Fireview. Extremely efficient stove that will cut down on fuel useage and keep you nice and warm. Woodstock has perhaps the best reputation in the industry and the best warranty that I know of. They will do all they can to assist you and will not pressure you.

Also, you should already be looking at the fuel you intend to burn! It needs to be seasoned. Wood cut this year should be burned next year. Do that and you will stay away from a lot of problems; especially the problems that new wood burners have.

Hell I'd re-install the Scandia 308 and give that a shot just to see if wood burning is your thing. Before ya do that have a sweep clean out the chimney, certify it, chat with him and maybe he'll hook up that Scandia for a song.

As far as buying another stove I look at the 2 1/2sf or slightly larger fireboxes that way you can burn a smaller fire hotter. Sure it doesn't get all that cold down there but the different in price isn't all that much...it the installation that's pricey imo.

You're kind of in a good position cause the house already had a burning stove in it...so how hard can it be just to hook up another one? And save yourself 1800...that's why I suggest ya don't skimp on the new stove, if ya end up buying one. Lets us know what you end up doing 42 and good luck to you.

I think im going to go with the Avalon Rainier stove. Its the next size up from the Pendelton. It has a firebox space of 1.8 cubic feet.

Thanks for all the input! I have a feeling ill be using these message boards a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.