Help Me Find a Low Clearance Stove!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CountryBoy19 said:
firefighterjake said:
BurnIt13 said:
Change of plans. I mocked these stoves up in the corner at a 45 degree angle and it just doesn't work. The stoves protrude too much into the dining room. Instead, I mocked them up again straight against the wall instead of at an angle. HUGE difference.

BTW, my wife came home and declared me a complete geek for mocking the stoves up with cardboard boxes and drawing everything out. I am going to have to agree with her. . . .

Then in this case a lot of us are geeks since I know I did the same thing . . . and many other folks have reported doing the same thing when they were planning out their stove, clearance distances and hearths. ;)

Great info by the way for anyone considering these stoves for their home.
I wanted to mock it up when my wife insisted on having a 2 foot (yes, that's 24 inches) raised hearth. I told her she was freaking nuts and I wanted to show her what a 2' hearth would look like and she said I was nuts for trying to do a cardboard mockup and she said she wasn't going to pay any attention to anything I make out of cardboard so I didn't waste my time. I eventually got her talked down to 1 foot, and after I got the tile laid this weekend she said, "Wow, what was I thinking when I wanted a 2 foot high hearth? 1 foot is almost too high but I think it will work out perfect." I just had to laugh "with" her... she can be quite silly sometimes... The good news is that we don't have a 2 foot high hearth, the bad news, I think a cardboard mockup would have saved it from even being as high as it is now. I wanted it to be no more than 8" high; I think if I would have done the mockup anyways she would have seen it and I could have talked her down to 8". But I'm ok with it now.

Sorry if this seems like a threadjack, just pointing out that sometimes cardboard mockups can save a lot of hassle. I do plan to do an AAR thread on my hearth construction (start to finish pictures of everything) as soon as I get it done.

2 feet? For some reason I can see you grabbing a climber's ax, crampons and 50 feet of coiled rope every time you need to mount the hearth to load your stove . . . sorry . . . just a funny picture of you all geared up popped into my head.

burnit,

I spent literally a couple weeks with the cardboard layouts, masking tape, various stove and chimney specs. Tell your wife you could be saving a couple grand when that "big ass stove" gets delivered and it doesn't match up with your walls and chimney.

As countryboy found out, it is time and cardboard well spent.

There is a link in my sig for pics and comments regarding our hearth/stove construction/install.... In our case, the 45 degree helped reduce the wall clearance and projection of the raise hearth into the room.

I like to mock up anything that is going to be expensive or heavy. Our corner install worked out great this way and was flexible enough to accommodate a larger stove upgrade. For our house having the stove face into the room was the best plan.

Cardboard and tape for me too!! I just installed a Lopi Endeavor in a corner install as you drew out. I had planned on a 45 degree install but it put it too far out in the floor and ended up putting in in sideways as you drew it. Built our first real fire in it last night, I love the free heat,, sorry propane man. By the way, I had tons of red hot coals this morning at 6:00 am after loading it at 10:30 last night.

firefighterjake said:
2 feet? For some reason I can see you grabbing a climber's ax, crampons and 50 feet of coiled rope every time you need to mount the hearth to load your stove . . . sorry . . . just a funny picture of you all geared up popped into my head.

Yeah, same here... I just sort of scratched my head.... and thought to myself, "I really think she is insane".

After the whole firewood stacking fiasco and then wanting a 2 foot tall hearth, I was beginning to think that she just agreed to burn wood to make me happy but then she was trying to make me not want to burn wood.

It's a little taller than I initially wanted it but it's going to work out good and I've come to like it. I can kneel on the carpet in front of it, set my ash-can/tools/wood-carrier on the hearth, and I'll be working at a manageable height rather than bending down a lot. Also, the tile pattern we chose for the front/side wouldn't have worked out if it was shorter.

BTW, she let me leave the wood where it was if I let her get 1 cat; a cat that wouldn't rub up on my legs (I hate cats that are friendly, the only good cat is one that runs away when it sees a person). Well, I let her get the cat, the wood stayed where it was, and the cat either ran away or it got eaten by coyotes... It all worked out in the end, because I didn't have to move the wood and I don't have to worry about a cat getting too friendly with me.

Wow... I am really ADD, how did I manage to side-track a thread from talking about low clearance stoves to talking about cats?

CountryBoy19 said:
Wow... I am really ADD, how did I manage to side-track a thread from talking about low clearance stoves to talking about cats?

No worry mate, the Fireview/BK crew do it all the time. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.