Help me identify some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilifter7

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2012
Beavercreek Ohio
Got any ideas on this stuff guys? It's yellow, very stringy grain and heavy. Most of it turns reddish as it seasons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 160
hedge or mulberry. I will go with mulberry , burns good - give it a couple years and it will burn good

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Thanks guys! Hedge is what I thought it was but it could be mulberry. I have been getting most of my wood from a guy who lives on an old tree farm. Neither he nor I are very good at identifying wood so I appreciate the help. I'll post some more as I get it.

Mulberry no doubt

Reactions: blujacket
Does mulberry require more than 1 year to season? Most of the stuff I get from the old tree farm has been dead for years and in 6'-8' lengths in a pile. I know that doesn't help it dry out much but it's also not fresh green wood either.

When its green with the bark on its very wet. I think at least two years.
I bucked some mulberry that was down, no bark for 10 years. It split
yellow and in two weeks it was that reddish brown already. Moisture
at 21%. I will still let that sit until next year. It looks like maybe some BL
in that cart. Is that possible to have two kinds there?

When its green with the bark on its very wet. I think at least two years.
I bucked some mulberry that was down, no bark for 10 years. It split
yellow and in two weeks it was that reddish brown already. Moisture
at 21%. I will still let that sit until next year. It looks like maybe some BL
in that cart. Is that possible to have two kinds there?
Ok I'll check some with the MM and see where its at. Yea I thought that was black locust but wasn't sure. I'm still trying to figure out what all my wood is. Lol

Here's another one, any thoughts on what this is? It's not very dense or heavy feeling. Splits pretty easy. Most of it has that died vein look throughout each piece. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sounds like treasure hunting of a grand sort. Spalted maple maybe. Not so heavy? American Beech spalts too. its fungal staining. I associate that with aging of some sort.

Post# 9 Looks like Maple

I don't think it is beech wood. I would say some sort of soft maple sounds right. Now that I think of it the staining is somewhat similar to some box elder that I have. It has a similar density and weight to it as well. I'm going with some sort of maple right now

Mulberry on the first batch of pics. Will throw a few fine sparks but it's up there with the Oaks, BTU-wise.

I'm pretty sure the second batch of pics is maple. Its seems to be pretty old stuff.

I'm pretty sure the second batch of pics is maple. Its seems to be pretty old stuff.

It is old but not seasoned very well. It came from an old tree farm so age could be anywhere from 40-60 years old. It had been dead in a pile for probably 3-4 years but not split until October. MM reads around 24-26%. I really wish i didn't have to burn it now but it's all I have left. Should be the last unseasoned wood I burn

I burned a bunch of maple that was 24-26%.MC, brought it in ,stacked it near the stove, burns a little better after 24 hours near stove, 48 hours ,even better, bring in as much as U can. Oh ya I removed the bark if I could.
Have U checked the bark side for MC ?? cuz that old stuff holds moisture under the bark

Edit: if U put a fan on that wood, even better

I burned a bunch of maple that was 24-26%.MC, brought it in ,stacked it near the stove, burns a little better after 24 hours near stove, 48 hours ,even better, bring in as much as U can. Oh ya I removed the bark if I could.
Have U checked the bark side for MC ?? cuz that old stuff holds moisture under the bark

Edit: if U put a fan on that wood, even better

Good to know HD! I usually bring in a days worth that sits in my wood bucket by the stove for at least 24hrs before I burn it. I might try to pull a box fan out and run it in the garage. It will be so nice to not worry about this next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.