Help me Pick the Right Wood Stove Location (Plans included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Corndogger

Oct 19, 2023
Midwest USA
Hi all,

Hi all, I am trying to determine if this four seasons room is even usable for a Wood Stove in the first place. I made a view variations as to where the wood stove could possibly go.

Plan 1 is the original concept. Any thoughts on if this room is even usable for a wood stove?

Thanks!

WOOD-STOVE-PLAN-1.jpg PLAN-3.jpg PLAN-2.jpg PLAN-1.jpg

It's a poor chimney location. It depends on the prevailing winds, but often setups like this can be a problem due to positive pressure outside around the chimney. It the plan goes ahead, get an easy breathing stove that is less draft sensitive.

The clearances around the stove are high for a modern stove. What make & model stove will this be?

Reactions: Corndogger
Thanks for the quick reply begreen! We we're going with the Drolet Escape 1200.

Nothing has been constructed yet, we're wanting to see if this room is even an option, if not then we'll look elsewhere inside the house. We wanted a little extra clearance, but it's entirely possible to replace a couple of the walls with a shielded surface and get those clearances down even more.

A more centralized location will distribute the heat better... Moving warm air to cool area's is one of the most challenging aspects of wood heat. Remember a wood stove is really a room/area heater, not a "whole house" heater.

A more centralized location will distribute the heat better... Moving warm air to cool area's is one of the most challenging aspects of wood heat. Remember a wood stove is really a room/area heater, not a "whole house" heater.
Great point! We’re really just hoping to use it as a glorified space heater for that room only. Any thoughts on draft issues for that purpose with the sketches above??

The taller the chimney the better it will draft, however I would recommend a stovetop adapter with a damper to help control potential overdraft. Much easier to install right away rather than add later.

Also highly recommend a digital flue probe thermometer to monitor flue temperature. Really helped me burn better when I installed mine.