Help Me Plan My Stove Upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTSoxFan

Nov 16, 2011
Northern CT
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a couple years now, as the home we purchased came with an old pre-EPA freestanding wood stove (one of the "airtight" models - a Forester). After using it as a supplemental heating source for the past couple winters, I've learned that I really enjoy heating with wood and would like to replace it with something more efficient, and better looking. Here's the details of my installation:
  • Heating approximately 1,500 sq ft in Northern CT. House is older, but fairly well insulated. The new stove would probably not be burning 24/7, but used as a supplemental source of heat during evenings and weekends.
  • House is a Cape Cod - two stories with a central masonry chimney. The hearth is located on the first floor in the main living area and vents directly into the chimney.
  • I'd like to be able to utilize the current hearth without modifying it if possible. Hopefully the pictures will shed some light here; the hearth measures 37" by 64". The current stove is installed facing the front door of the house rather than the living room. I'd like to install the new stove so that the front of the stove faces the living room and provides a view of the fire. Basically a 90-degree rotation.
My dilemma is that doing this will leave my choice of stove somewhat constrained by the depth of the hearth. Because of the configuration of the room, I'd rather not extend it out further if I can help it. I'm looking for recommendations of stoves that will fit in this configuration. Pouring over and trying to interpret spec sheets for each model has been tedious; so far I believe I've identified that the Hearthstone Tribute would fit, but that stove is really not big enough to heat my home. Are there any other options? In terms of preferences, I really like both cast iron and soapstone. I'd probably prefer a non-cat stove, but I'm open to both. Let me know if any additional details would help. Thanks in advance!

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Hmm, I think the biggest issue here may be the low flue thimble. That really restricts options. If not for that I was thinking a Woodstock Fireview. It will side load on the right side, but requires a minimum hearth of 44"x 50". But this would require raising the thimble I think. The only EPA stove I know that is configured like the old Forester is the Buck 261.

If you can move up the thimble to say 5ft off the floor (where the A plaque currently is) and extend the hearth then your options increase a lot. The current hearth would need to be rebuilt but it doesn't need to be as high nor out of brick. If the new stove only requires ember protection, the new hearth area could be almost flush with the current floor or if slightly higher, framed with a gently ramped trim.

The hearth depth is going to depend on how the stove's firebox is shaped. For this area you'd be best off with an East/West firebox, that is one that is shallow and wide like that of the Jotul Castine, Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, Hearthstone Shelburne, Hampton H300, etc. Or in steel a stove like the Drolet Escape 1800, FW2700 etc.

Reactions: Owen1508
Thanks for the ideas. Interestingly, that A plaque is actually hiding an old thimble through the brick that has been sealed with cement. Would re-opening this thimble be a huge undertaking? That's what I was envisioning, as the current thimble is, as you said, too low for most applications. If I went with a stove that required only ember protection, would I be able to put a fire-resistant hearth rug in front of the current hearth? Or would I need something more permanent?

Definitely just raise the thimble and get the stove you like that will do the job. I don't think opening it up would be too involved but someone else would know more.

Thanks for the ideas. Interestingly, that A plaque is actually hiding an old thimble through the brick that has been sealed with cement. Would re-opening this thimble be a huge undertaking? That's what I was envisioning, as the current thimble is, as you said, too low for most applications. If I went with a stove that required only ember protection, would I be able to put a fire-resistant hearth rug in front of the current hearth? Or would I need something more permanent?

I was hoping that was an old thimble. Yes, the cement can be removed and a 6" clay crock installed as long as there is not wood at all within 12". I'm not a big fan of rugs, but a fiberglass rug would be better than nothing. I would tack it down in the corners so it can't slip. Another thing that would work would be a sheet of metal. It could be copper to keep things dressy, or stainless steel. In that case it should have the edge folded over and it should be nailed in place with short nails. around the perimeter.

Bumping this thread, as I think we've finally decided on a stove. I've resigned myself to tearing up the old hearth and building a new one. We're looking at the Alderlea T5. It should be big enough to heat our house, seems to have great reviews, and most of all, I like the close clearances. It only requires ember protection, so my current plan for the hearth is to tear out the brick and cut into the hardwoods in front of the hearth to extend it into the room. With a 1/2" sheet of Durock and ceramic tile over top, that should put me roughly flush with the surrounding floor. I'll run double wall pipe up to that second covered thimble.

I want to make sure I'm sizing the hearth correctly, though. The manual for the T5 indicates the minimum hearthpad depth is 40.5". But I'm pretty sure mine needs to be deeper than that - with double wall pipe, I'll need 5" of clearance from that back brick wall, and then another 16" in front of the door. The stove itself is 28.5" deep, for a total hearth depth of 49.5". Does that sound right? Anything I am missing or haven't considered? Thanks!

I want to make sure I'm sizing the hearth correctly, though. The manual for the T5 indicates the minimum hearthpad depth is 40.5". But I'm pretty sure mine needs to be deeper than that - with double wall pipe, I'll need 5" of clearance from that back brick wall, and then another 16" in front of the door. The stove itself is 28.5" deep, for a total hearth depth of 49.5". Does that sound right? Anything I am missing or haven't considered? Thanks!

That sounds right. Essentially it means you don't need to have all the "clearance area" covered with a non-combustible material. Like at the sides you need 14" clearance but only 8" floor protection from the door. I would, however, extend the hearth more than just to the absolute minimum. First, you may need some "spare room" to fit the stove in. Second, I had embers pop out up to 2 feet from the door and was glad I did not just the minimum 16".

Since the T5 uses the same firebox as the PE Super I am pretty sure you will be very happy with the your new stove. I have nothing bad to say about mine. Just make sure to feed it dry wood and you can look forward to a warm, cozy home next winter.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I went to the dealer this weekend, all set to put a deposit on the T5, only to be confronted with an option I hadn't considered. The owner suggested the Hearthstone Manchester, which I had overlooked as too large and pricey.

But it looks like the Manchester and the T5 will be roughly the same price, and I like the looks of the Manchester better. Plus, it will fit better in my current configuration given the east-west orientation. I'm currently learning toward the Hearthstone, although I'm a little concerned that it might be too big for our 1500 sf house. Does anyone have any opinions either way? Sounds like I can't go wrong with either, but more information is always better.

Do a forum search on the Manchester and also look at the review section. It is a relatively new stove and at least one member did not have the best experiences with it. Maybe Hearthstone did some improvements; I would ask the dealer and company about it. With the Manchester, you may buy a whole lot of stove that you will rarely fill to capacity. Since you are a bit space-constrained I am not sure if it makes sense. A few people here made plain cardbox models of the models they considered and placed them on the hearth to see how much space would be taken up.

If you like the Manchester's look have you considered: Pacific Energy Spectrum, Jotul F500, Quadrafire Explorer 2 (or the recently replaced Cumberland Gap, maybe still available at some dealers for a discount)?

CTsoxfan - a vaguely remember there's some type of grant program in your area that you can use to offset the total cost of a new stove, I would looking into it

Do a forum search on the Manchester and also look at the review section. It is a relatively new stove and at least one member did not have the best experiences with it. Maybe Hearthstone did some improvements; I would ask the dealer and company about it. With the Manchester, you may buy a whole lot of stove that you will rarely fill to capacity. Since you are a bit space-constrained I am not sure if it makes sense. A few people here made plain cardbox models of the models they considered and placed them on the hearth to see how much space would be taken up.

If you like the Manchester's look have you considered: Pacific Energy Spectrum, Jotul F500, Quadrafire Explorer 2 (or the recently replaced Cumberland Gap, maybe still available at some dealers for a discount)?

I've read the reviews on the Manchester, and I plan to ask my dealer about the side door issue. I've heard third-hand that the issue has been addressed, and other than that I'm not too concerned. Part of what I like about the Manchester is the bigger firebox, longer burn time, and soapstone lining, while actually decreasing the amount that I'd have to extend the hearth into what is a pretty narrow room. It'll save me about five inches vs. the Alderlea.

I like the Explorer and the Isle Royale a lot, as well as the Jotul Oslo. Those were the list also, but the dealers for those stoves couldn't compete on price with the one I'm working with now. I was quoted at $2,195 for the Manchester and the T5, which is by far the best I've seen in my area.

I thought I'd wrap this thread up with a happy ending. The Forester is gone, new hearth is completed, and the Manchester installed. We just had our first couple break-in fires yesterday, looking forward to letting her rip later this week when the temperature drops a bit. It's a new feeling looking forward to cold weather! Thanks to everyone here for all the very helpful input.

IMG_1675.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cockshutt
Nice install. That's a great looking stove (just missing the fire ;) ).

Over the weekend you will have chance to try that bad boy. Looks good.

Looking real good! That should be a major improvement.

Very nice! :cool: Looking forward to updates once you've got 'er broken in and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.