Help me pull the trigger for this season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

npompei

Oct 16, 2010
Warrington, PA
Ok guys, I am having a hard time figuring out which route to go this season. Figured I would let my pellet hogs give me their knowledge!

Frontier with short bed, only can do 1/2 ton at a time...

Green Team's $209- Lowes, 20min from my house (delivery $75)

Green Supreme $209- Lowes, literally 1/2mi from my house so I would make trips and haul

Stove Chow $209- HD about 5miles from my house. Would prob pick up.

Hammers $270 - Fire and hearth place about 15min from my house, could get 2 tons delivered for $80

Agway (re branded Hammers) $290 - and about $35 for delivery

- I need about 3.5 tons on average for the season.
- St Croix Greenfield.
- Burnt AWF my first year, eh. Burnt Powerhouse last year and they were terrible. Stove Chows last year for a 1/2 ton and they were decent. Burnt Cheat River and they were great for the price from Lowes, but not seeing them so far at my local Lowes.

Just some background there. I know it's a crap shoot but just wondering what to do. Thanks for the help!

I can't comment on which is the best pellet, never had the chance to burn any of them here in the mid-west. But I do have a question. With delivery can they just roll them into your storage area or do you have to unstack and restack? Not having to handle them again may make delivery the anwser. But if you have to open the pallets anyway the 1/2 mile trip is what I'd do. jmho

If the stove handles the chores just fine with BB brands Stove Chow is a decent pellet. If you have to assist the stove in the cold Mix in some Hamers. I also like the GT's

The nice thing is you can get a few here and there if you in the area. You don't need to get them all at once. But thats just me, I can't pass any pellet stack without putting something in the trunk/bed while I'm out and about. Wife sends me out for milk, I come home with pellets. Milk? Oops! ==c

I can't comment on which is the best pellet, never had the chance to burn any of them here in the mid-west. But I do have a question. With delivery can they just roll them into your storage area or do you have to unstack and restack? Not having to handle them again may make delivery the anwser. But if you have to open the pallets anyway the 1/2 mile trip is what I'd do. jmho

Thanks guys. Im a fit younger guy who doesnt mind stacking. And yes, I need to open them up to get down into my basement anyway. Plus I have a 5month old who is taking up my time!

And I here ya Jtakeman - I tried a bunch last year and these ones are new to my area. Except the Chows and Agways. Hmmmm still not sure...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

You can do way more than half a ton in a frontier. Heck I threw 18 bags in the wife's Prius while we went to lowes for potting soil. I know it's pathetic but I had to work with what I had. She insisted that we take her car so I don't buy any more things we don't need from the nursery (I love trees and hydrangeas). We saw how that worked out for her. It was rough on the Prius though, we only got 41 mpg.

You can do way more than half a ton in a frontier. Heck I threw 18 bags in the wife's Prius while we went to lowes for potting soil. I know it's pathetic but I had to work with what I had. She insisted that we take her car so I don't buy any more things we don't need from the nursery (I love trees and hydrangeas). We saw how that worked out for her. It was rough on the Prius though, we only got 41 mpg.

Well true! I just figured it would be easiest to do it that way to keep track.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.