Help me trouble shoot my Mt Vernon Non ae

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baston8005

Oct 17, 2007
East of Hartford, CT
Last week I had snap disc #3 go bad. Purchased a new one, thought things where dandy until...
I have the thermostat set at 76 and with the pellets i run it nevers reaches temp. premium grade pellets... It never reaches that temp so the stove runs continuously maintaining 72. Since it has gotten colder in the last week I tried to up the stove from #3 to the Quad setting #4 to get it a little warmer. Whats happening is that the stove is shutting down before it ever reaches 76 degrees on quad. The red call light is on but the stove stops feeding the pellets. If I wait a few minutes and then hit the reset button it will start dropping pellets again and continue on. I can run the stove on 3 setting almost all the time with the premium grade pellet. As soon as I run the stove on 4 it shuts down and If I add my good pellets on the 3 setting it will shut down. Seems its getting to hot...
I assume I have another bad snap disc or a faulty #3 snap that I just purchased. I ordered Snap #1 and #2 in hopes of "curing" the problem.
Any ideas guys?

Do you have the feed motor with the capacitor installed?

Is it possible that your convection blower isn't moving enough air and the stove is overheating because it doesn't have enough room air moving through it. Check your convection blower for invasive dust bunnies.

Just vac'd out all the dust bunnies. I took off the side and exposed the auger motor and I have the original auger motor with the original wiring. I see the red capacitor. The new capacitor's would need to be spliced in or I buy a new auger motor with all new wiring....?

I would verify the operation of the of the control box lights and see if the red is staying lit and maintaining the required temps. I don't think it's the feed motor, but if you wanted to be sure, you can put power to it while it is removed from the stove and try to stop the auger. If it stops easily then the capacitor is shot, if it doesn't then feed motor and capacitor are fine.

Kilbury,
Help, the Quadrafire tech I have here in Texas has no idea what's going on! I have a Mt. Vernon AE pellet stove insert and it is giving an error message of bad TC firepot. I ordered a new Thermcouple and installed it myself but got the same message. So I called the tech and the first scary thing he said was I would have to have a stone mason come and cut my insert out of the stone chimney. I showed him the surround and how it comes apart but he didn't believe me, so he left and I went ahead and took the surround apart, slid the stove out, which by the way is super heavy! Called him back, he came the next day and worked on it, said I had a bad control board. So ok he had one we replaced it and guess what? Same error message! He has no idea where to go from here and I have over $900 in a stove that still won't run! Any suggestions where to go from here? Now he wants to replace the thermocouple again. Help! Soon I'll have half the cost of the stove in this repair and it is only 8 years old.

Sorry about the delay, haven't had internet access for a few days. Can you tell us what the original control board part # is? I would double check the connections on the control board for the TC. Specifically the connector on the board. they can be fragile and if pulled on can actually be pulled off the control board. You could also test your thermocouple with some heat applied to the ring and a multimeter to be certain they producing voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.