Help me understand why my catalyst needs to be housed in "refractory material"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckydiesel

Sep 29, 2012
Hey everyone,

I have a Vermont Castings Encore 2190 (catalyst stove) that I bought used.
The catalyst that was in the stove (under the previous owner's "care"), had bulged to the point that it blew out the sides of the refractory box. I did some patching last year and made it through the season with no troubles, but this year I am putting in a new catalyst.

I want to build a new refractory, but I am torn regarding materials. Because I am in the steel fabrication business, I would prefer to make a new refractory box from steel plate, but does the refractory material have insulating properties that are needed for the rest of the stove and/or catalyst? I would think that if I used 1/2" plate for a refractory, it would fairly evenly distribute heat generated by the catalyst rather than causing hot spots.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Phillip

Hey everyone,

I have a Vermont Castings Encore 2190 (catalyst stove) that I bought used.
The catalyst that was in the stove (under the previous owner's "care"), had bulged to the point that it blew out the sides of the refractory box. I did some patching last year and made it through the season with no troubles, but this year I am putting in a new catalyst.

I want to build a new refractory, but I am torn regarding materials. Because I am in the steel fabrication business, I would prefer to make a new refractory box from steel plate, but does the refractory material have insulating properties that are needed for the rest of the stove and/or catalyst? I would think that if I used 1/2" plate for a refractory, it would fairly evenly distribute heat generated by the catalyst rather than causing hot spots.

Thoughts?

Welcome Philip. Yes, the refractory material is used because of its insulating properties. The idea is not to dissipate the heat but to keep the flue gases hot enough to ensure full combustion in the stove. In a cat stove if the flue gases are not hot enough, the cat may not ignite or maintain combustion throughout the burn cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.