Help me with a Moravian

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodleheadmikey

Feb 20, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Free standing model.

A friend has one for sale - knows nothing about it and neither do I. <g>

I am debating just what to do to replace my New Mac furnace - which I am abandoning.

I have a stove designed in my head that I want to build but it's tempting to just install the Moravian (101 I think?) and be done with it.

Of course the Moravian is about 25 years old too. Do they have any known weak-spots? Flaws? Common failure points? What should I be looking for in terms of accessing the Moravian's condition? Do they crack or burn though especially?

Any opinions? Thoughts? Considerations?

PHM
-----

You might try the "classic stoves" section.. it's new, but all the guys who might have the knowledge you seek seem to be checking in there...

Personally, unless I had some history with an old stove, I would buy a new stove that is known shape and probably uses way less wood..

Is it the one over in Mt. Laurel?

The NewMac is a ducted furnace. When I got it I installed a 90% natural gas downflow to blow into the side of the NewMac and then put the A/C coil on top of the NewMac's air discharge opening. I wired it onto a two-stage room thermostat so the gas furnace would fire when the fire was burned down. The system worked well.

But . . . it's a mess of ducting and takes up a lot of room and I mow want to hang the 90% furnace from the floor joists and put a big tool cabinet under it.

I make a lot of hot water now with my solar panels and there's no easy way to incorporate a large hydronic heating coil into the existing return ducts.

I keep saying that I'm going to install under-floor radiant to utilize the solar heated water but let's face facts here: it won't be for years - if ever. <g>

I have motorcycles and a sailboat whispering to me all the time:

"Come on! You can work later - let's get the hell out of here buddy . . . "

And also: sometimes I just want to change things. I change my mind. I want to try out new ideas. I want to build something. I want to re-convince myself that I Can Do It.

I guess the short answer to your question is: Because I Want To. <g>

PHM
------

Jimbob said:
How come you are abandoning the Newmac?

We're all here to help. I'm wondering about the Newmac furnace. Did it burn out or has it performed poorly?

The NewMac is fine - I'm just tired of it and don't want it any more.

Some years ago I got sick of hearing BS from my neighbors about the smell. Hell; I knew it was them them making the wood-burning smells the whole time. And the proof is that I am the only who stopped burning wood and they are still complaining. <g>

Now I want to re-sort my heating / ducting arrangements here and the NewMac no longer fits my Vision: I want a stove - not a furnace. <g>

PHM
------

I don't know...the Moravian is not the finest example of an old stove......personally, I would not lust after one, but if I was 100 percent broke and had no other source of heat, I would take it.

I'd go EPA forward just to get more from my wood and less chance of chimney fires - plus, keep the neighbors and wife happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.