Help me zero in on some tractor options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My woodlands total about 180 acres, plus wetlands. In 2004 I bought a Kubota L3400 (34 hp, 4WD, R4 industrial tires), manual transmission, along with a FEL, grapple bucket, pallet forks, box blade, dirt bucket, extra hydraulic spool, and PTO brush mower. I also then added a well used disc and a very old green 2 bottom plow. Importantly, I got a quick-tach for the front end loader that enables easy use of most skid steer equipment. And for the 3 point I made a rack that holds a barrel filled with cement for a counterweight when using front end equipment. About 300 hours on it now. Very pleased with the choice.

Can I ask approximately how much you invested for everything above?

I went looking at New Holland's yesterday. Liked the Boomer 37. I might be getting closer and closer to having a new toy.

Reactions: flyingcow
I have a yanmar ex3200 and love it. With 32hp and 4wd it's amazing what it can do. All my attachments are 60".

I have similar needs to yours, though less acres and all woods no pasture/food plot. I've been looking very hard. My budget is less than yours. Here's a couple of things I'm thinking about.
1) Don't try to put a backhoe on a CUT if it's for only rare use. It's much better to just rent. You know you will have whatever power the job requires and will be cheaper.
2) R4's tend to be more puncture resistant (better for industrial or "in the woods" use) vs. Ag's are better for "ground engaging" implements, more for pasture/field work.
3) Do you need a mid-PTO, belly mower? If not, it will just get in the way in the woods.
4) Looking very hard at the used market, since I'm fortunate not to be in a rush.

Based on these observations, I'm strongly considering the JD3802E with D160 FEL and R4 tires (filled). Right now I've got a firm quote from a dealer at $19,500. I took a look at the JD 3R's, but honestly, Idon't need a mid PTO. I also looked at Kubota B and L's and have used my friend's Kubota B. In the end, these are more expensive than the JD 3E and the controls are much less user friendly (dry clutch rear PTO).

Kubota would be my choice. Reasons mentioned already but worth repeating......they make the whole tractor. The engine and tranny were designed by the same company designing the tractor. Things work right and the build quality is high. 6 yrs using my Kubota L3130 and not one failure. And I admittedly have at times abused the thing but it just keeps plugging away.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.