Help: Mighty Mac (MacKISSIC) Wood Chipper 12p-8 Throttle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nodtmf

Oct 23, 2010
Santa Cruz Mtns
Hi All,

I have an 12p-8 wood chipper and the throttle assembly fell apart. Trying to figure out what I'm missing and how it goes together. I downloaded the User and Parts manual, but if anyone could post some pictures of the assembly I would be grateful! I'm trying to understand if when in the stop position there is an electrical stopping function (or not).

Thanks!

Good luck with the repair ... lots of folks have looked at your thread but I guess no one has run across this problem. Could try contacting the manufacturer...

I would contact MacKissic support. Word is they are pretty helpful.

I would contact MacKissic support. Word is they are pretty helpful.
That makes sense! However, I do have it mostly together, with one linkage issue. I will tackle that today. Assuming I figure that out today, I will then post some pictures for future questions.

Sadly though, this little chipper doesn't do well for me. I use it to chip oak branches, it has enough power but the frame will torque under load and then the belt falls off. I tighten the the belt pretty tight but I still have to be careful on loading it up.

Good to hear you are making headway. Pics would be good!

Possible to beef up the frame to minimize torque or just not worth it?

Is the oak dry or green? Dry wood is harder to chip.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Well an update.

I got it running but I did not succeed in figuring it out correctly. When all together the springs naturally pull the throttle to the open position. I couldn't figure how, when moving the lever to stop, the linkage is supposed to close the throttle valve. I went through the parts diagram and made sure I understood what each part does and the connections of the linkages and springs...such a complicated setup. 3 separate moving linkages connected with various springs and rods. So I "farmered" a return spring. I forgot to take pictures when apart, but I will be taking it apart again to fix it right.

Also, I retract my previous comment about it not chipping so well. I went through and re-torqued every bolt and tightened the belt. Personally I am concerned the belt may be too tight, but I may be wrong on that point. Perhaps that was the problem. Anyway, I put it through the paces on green oak. Worked well, but one must trim the limbs quite a bit to fit the hopper. And naturally it doesn't handle any branches over about inch. In the pic below it took 45 minutes to do half that pile.

Thanks for the update and glad you got it working enough to catch up with yard debris. Keep us posted on the "fix"

I'm almost through with cutting and stacking the log load and I'll have to break out the old (yet only one year old to me) chipper I got that looks like yours but is on four wheels. I recalled messing with a strange looking carburetor last year so I'll probably have a question as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.