help my furnace blower wont shut off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snodays700

Feb 9, 2009
central maine
I put my harman P68 in my living room in through the fire place works great, But does any one know why my oil fired furnace blower wont shut off. My oil fired forced hot air furnace is in the basement and the blower keeps sucking the cold air out of the basement and sending it up stairs. I have the furnace thermostat turned all the way down.

The pellet stove uses the easiest available draft, unless an OAK is installed. Obviously the draft created by the pellet stove goes right through where the thermostat for the furnace is located.

snodays700 said:
I put my harman P68 in my living room in through the fire place works great, But does any one know why my oil fired furnace blower wont shut off. My oil fired forced hot air furnace is in the basement and the blower keeps sucking the cold air out of the basement and sending it up stairs. I have the furnace thermostat turned all the way down.

Shut off the red safety switch, It should be near the cellar door, it kills all power to the furnace.

Check your furnace thermostat settings/switches. The fan switch should be in the "auto" position and not "run".

snodays700 said:
Yeah its in the auto

Ok, just thought I would check. I have on occasion unknowingly changed mine. Would you by any chance have a different working thermostat lying around. Maybe you could swap out and see if maybe your stat is faulty. Also it very well may be a faulty Fan limit Control on your furnace.

Two thing come to mind, the fan stat switch is stuck closed, or the manual/auto switch is on manual (white button pushed in for manual pulled out for auto.) Or if you have a logic board running the furnace a bad board is possible. Unless the burner is running the fan should stay off until the burnner comes on then kick on a minute later. If you still have an issue call a service tech to have it fixed, till then you can use the E switch to turn the power off.

One other thing, if you have a bi metal fan stat switch that is stuck closed take you finger and give it a good couple taps on the cover, it just might be hanging up.

Status
Not open for further replies.