Help my Harman p38 won't start [primary heat source!]

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ducker

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Leominster, MA
I've been running my Harman hard the last 3 days off of a generator due to power loss as my primary source of heat. My generator stopped once this morning due to low oil. Once I fixed it and started everything back up my Harman won't start.

The blowers don't kick in, nothing. I've checked the power source and The extension cord does have power - it's just as if the stove doesn't want to work.

What could be the problem? I looked over my user manual and I noticed that there is a 5 amp fuse on the control board, when I was looking at the back of my stove I didn't see the control board though to check out the fuse.

Any ideas?

Is the power LED on the control panel illuminated? If yes, it's probably not the fuse. If not, you may have a blown board perhaps
from a power surge when the generator came back on.

We have the same stove and the first thing I did was get a good surge protector to plug it into.

Ah so you don't think it was from a surge of power when it died, but rather when I started it back up... I need to keep that in mind going forward.

the P38 I don't believe has an LED light. I pulled off the panel were the fan and feed control are and the fuse was back there. I replaced it and it's now working again.... YEA!!! Wife was ready to kill me for ditching the wood stove :(

I still think she's ready to kill me :)

ducker said:
Ah so you don't think it was from a surge of power when it died, but rather when I started it back up... I need to keep that in mind going forward.

the P38 I don't believe has an LED light. I pulled off the panel were the fan and feed control are and the fuse was back there. I replaced it and it's now working again.... YEA!!! Wife was ready to kill me for ditching the wood stove :(

I still think she's ready to kill me :)
What probably happened as the generator slowed down it put out less voltage resulting in an increase in amperage. That would have blown the fuse.

I might have mentioned this before but it`s worth mentioning it again.
I checked out the output voltage on both my generators this past summer and found that they were well below the usual 10% +/_ of working voltage. A quick turn of the adjustment screw brought em both up to 125 v.

j00fek said:
by looking at your manual, i would have to guess you blew the 5amp fuse.

Yep, but the odd thing is that the fuse in there was a 3a. I replaced it with a 3a instead of a 5amp... as I would rather it blow early rather then later and cook the circuit boad.

[quote author ="Gio"]What probably happened as the generator slowed down it put out less voltage resulting in an increase in amperage. That would have blown the fuse. [/quote]

Actually I think I blew it when I started it back up... I stupidly left the plugs in the generator when I pull started it back up :/

I checked the output on the generator, and it's reading 115 - 120v. which is nice :)

Thanks for the replies guys!

-Mike

ps. who hopes he has power back on by the end of today, I'm sick of eating out - or out of a microwave only!
not to mention a house that's right around 55-62F is rather chilly. :)

Hello new to the board I see that a poster has a Napolean pellet stove.I have an insert and the other day when we got our power back my stove was off when i returned home.We had it plugged in to our neighbor which is pretty close.Now when I start it the blower runs and the auger does not feed pellets and the pot does not ignite.The place I bought it from online has been no help and said they will have a tech call me.I really want to get it going again.To all the veterns what can I do???

AllPro said:
Hello new to the board I see that a poster has a Napolean pellet stove.I have an insert and the other day when we got our power back my stove was off when i returned home.We had it plugged in to our neighbor which is pretty close.Now when I start it the blower runs and the auger does not feed pellets and the pot does not ignite.The place I bought it from online has been no help and said they will have a tech call me.I really want to get it going again.To all the veterns what can I do???
You might want to start by posting your own thread on this problem/model. People who are most likely to read this thread are going to be P38/Harman stove owners and will likely will not know much about your stove.

BTW, if I were you, I'd try manually lighting your stove with a good pile of pellets and starter gel (or 91% alcohol). The auger may not be kicking on only because your ignitor isn't working for whatever reason (generator voltage?) But again, I know nothing about how your stove works...

Status
Not open for further replies.