Help!!! my Quadrafire pellet stove quit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I have a quadrafire cb 1200 freestanding pellet stove. It stopped working in the middle of the night. I cleaned the stove and took out all the pellts and cleaned the hopper. I also blew out the vacuum hose and it seems clear. The blower is working and the igniter did light up too. What am I missing? Thanks for the help.

I just noticed that the auger started to turn then stopped.

Did you reset it? Press the reset button, let the pellets drop in and let the fan start up. Wait about a minute and press the reset button a second time. This should allow the stove to restart and run.

The auger will start for a minute then stop and it doesn't turn back on unless I hit the reset button then it does the same thing over. No pellets are coming out.

Is the Red light on ? After you press the reset button and the pellets drop into the pot wait 30 seconds and press the reset button again. Does the ignitor come up attempting to light the pellets in the pot?

Its starting to feed and the fire lighted. But after a little bit it stops feeding and the fire goes out unless I keep hitting the reset button.

How far is the thermocouple extending into the burn pot? Mine is about 1.5 - 2in into the burn pot.

It's starting to feed on its own. I had to hit the reset button about 5 times, but I now have a fire. The fan should be kicking on shortly. I'd like to thank everyone for their quick replies.

you must have ran it dry.
when the stove starts up it drops pellets for a minute and a half and tries to ignite them If the thermocouple reaches 400* then it will turn the auger back on. If the auger tube is dry it takes at least 4 resets to get pellets in the stove. Was this a new stove?
Glad its working for you, and good advice MG :)

Hi Mountain stove guy,

The stove isn't new to me. I took out all the pellets then I vacuumed it really good. I'll have to remember this if it ever happens again. This site is great and thanks again.

MountainStoveGuy said:
when the stove starts up it drops pellets for a minute and a half and tries to ignite them If the thermocouple reaches 400* then it will turn the auger back on. If the auger tube is dry it takes at least 4 resets to get pellets in the stove. Was this a new stove?

Thanks - personal experience. I try to remember two things when I leave for work in the morning - the pellet bin is full, and that the Quad is set at low. I've more than once forgotten to do one of the two and come home to a cold house and had to go through the above procedures to reignite the stove ( also provides an good opportunity to clean out stove).

I've also appreciated your and others advice from time to time on issues I've encountered - so I try to return the favor.

MountainStoveGuy said:

just a question cause im curious, could you not place pellets in the burn pot when you run the auger dry to allow them to light and burn until the fuel starts coming out? only trying to learn here:) maybe there is a reason you cannot do so.

yea you can do that, but sometimes it doesnt work. You have to have just the right amount of pellets to get the thermocouple to 400*, but not to many pellets because they will smoke and smoulder. Its easier just to hit the reset 4-5 times.

MountainStoveGuy said:
yea you can do that, but sometimes it doesnt work. You have to have just the right amount of pellets to get the thermocouple to 400*, but not to many pellets because they will smoke and smoulder. Its easier just to hit the reset 4-5 times.

makes sense, kool. i understand now. thanks MSG

ok so i need help i ust bvought a quadrafire pellet stove used.i got it started and after an hour it quit. the red light doesnot come on at all.nor does the fan any advise. im thinking i got boned and am thinking it maybe the control box. it was made in 2004 but i got it from an army dude that was restationed and he says he only used it for 2 months and it has sat in storage for a couple of years.please help me and the kids r getting cold

win4me said:
ok so i need help i ust bvought a quadrafire pellet stove used.i got it started and after an hour it quit. the red light doesnot come on at all.nor does the fan any advise. im thinking i got boned and am thinking it maybe the control box. it was made in 2004 but i got it from an army dude that was restationed and he says he only used it for 2 months and it has sat in storage for a couple of years.please help me and the kids r getting cold

Win4me, you've started 2 other threads about your stove. You'll get more help there.

This has happened to me a few times with my Quad CB1200and I found that the auger sometimes gets clogged with sawdust and jams. I now have marked where my feed adjustment rod is set to run properly and every day for about 15min I open it up full to clean out the sawdust. Since I started doing this I have had no problem. When this unit gets alot of sawdust in it the auger will stop turning.

a n ice feature on my St. Croix is the manual feed butten, when i have a dry auger i can turn the stove on and hold manual feed...within a minute or so i have pellets falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.