HELP my st croix pepin is overfeeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djb473

Nov 28, 2010
mattapoisett
i have an older pepin and all of a sudden it started to feed continuously and causing the stove to over heat so much so the paint started to burn anyone out there with an answer cause i haven't a clue

Have you recently done a COMPLETE cleaning of the stove? I mean behind the ash traps, removed the combustion blower, etc.... my Pepin overfed when it was plugged with ash ... I had burning pellets in the ashpan that melted the plastic handle...

So you have no control over the auger speed? I am taking this as an older analog board with the dial for heat adjustment?

I am not sure I would run that stove if the auger just keeps turning and turning. Careful with this. Sounds like the board lost a triac or timer relay. Not sure on how St Croix controled the auger in there anolog boards.

After you pull the burn pot, versa grate and ash trap doors, etc. get behind the firebox with a coathanger, bottle brush or some similar tool to dislodge the ash behind that rear wall. Tapping it with a hammer also really helps.

The combustion blower can get pretty dirty, too. If you haven't had that apart in the last ton of pellets you should pull it out and clean the fan plus scrape out any carbon and built up ash.

Let us know how you make out.

j-takeman said:
So you have no control over the auger speed? I am taking this as an older analog board with the dial for heat adjustment?

I am not sure I would run that stove if the auger just keeps turning and turning. Careful with this. Sounds like the board lost a triac or timer relay. Not sure on how St Croix controled the auger in there anolog boards.

No user controls over the auger speed... just an auger feed (heat) setting from 1 to 6 and a room fan speed control...

djb473 said:
I cleaned the stove and now the auger seems to be cycling but now i have a lazy flame going on

{ the lite cycles every 10.5 sec}

Did you get the combustion blower and its cavity and the entire vent from that cavity both going back to the heat exchanger and out through and including the vent cap?

djb473 said:
I cleaned the stove and now the auger seems to be cycling but now i have a lazy flame going on

{ the lite cycles every 10.5 sec}

Make sure your ash pan is fastened tightly and the ash pan gasket it good... be sure the shaker rod on the versa-grate is pushed in all the way.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Make certain your damper is set properly as krooser will tell you start at a pencil width.

Good point Smokey.... that's important on a St. Croix stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.