Help... need advice from open fireplace burners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
I have an open masonry fireplace in my bedroom. Clay flue is only about 10'. I can't burn in the fireplace without smoking out the room. Any tips for how to burn without the smoke pouring out of the fireplace. I checked for obstructions - none. I've opened the flue all the way. I warmed the flue with a propane torch before starting the fire. I checked the chimney from outside and plenty of smoke is coming out of it. It's like the chimney just can't keep up. Smoke continues to boil out of the fireplace whether the fire is high or low. It's a pretty clean burning fire (10% MC pine) and I started it with bunch of small splits. Looking for advice/suggestions. Thanks.

Sure that pine has 10% MC? I burn a lot of pine right now which is more in the 15% range and don't get much smoke at all. What are the outside temps? Do you have a pic of the fireplace? Have you tried opening a window in the bedroom?

I've tested several fresh splits... they are all between 8-14%. My BK doesn't make any smoke with it ;)

Don't have a picture handy. I'll try to get one later.

Yes, I have a window open. The fire has been going for about an hour now and it seems to be drawing better. Could just be my stumpy chimney needs time to warm up.

Since you are in a bedroom, just be careful when the fire dies down to coals and you lose the updraft. You may end up with CO spilling into your room.

I have an open masonry fireplace in my master bedroom, haven't used it in the 25 years we've lived here... but this year I am burning some White Pine that was blown down by the storm named Sandy that hit the NJ coast a year ago last month. I'm burning in an airtight insert in my living room fireplace. I have burned hard wood almost all of the time but in cleaning up the downed White Pine I decided to split some last spring - I have about a half cord that has been split and stacked for about 7 or 8 months. The wood is very light and "feels" dry enough. It burns well and I was surprised how long it burned.

I don't have any more smoke intrusion problems than when burning hard wood. Or said more specifically, I do not ahve any smoke problems. My conclusion is you problem is not the pine but the fireplace.

I like the pine well enough I may split more of it for use in the spring or next year. Pine laying on the ground turns into rot pretty fast.

EDIT: I saw the "short chimney" reply. That may be it, the bedroom fireplace I don't use is on the second floor, the living room fireplace/insert has a chimney over 20' high from the base of the fire. The upstairs would have about 1//2 that much.

Have you ever had a successful fire there, or is this the first time you've used it? 10' is an awfully short flue. Does the chimney follow the 10 - 3 - 2 rule? 10-3-2 rule.JPG

PS What are the outside temps as you're trying the fires? If it's fairly warm out, it will be harder to establish a draft.

Last edited:
on edit... temperature is upper 20s.

2nd time I've tried a fire in it. First time was same. The longer it burns the better it burns, so I'm convinced it's the short chimney. When it's plenty hot it drafts ok. My roof is 4/12 at best. It meets all the requirements. I'm not positive it's only 10', but it can't be much more than that.

Anyway, it's burning ok right now. The wife will probably think hard before asking to burn in it again. My plan is to put an small insert or free-stander there and install a liner. I'll have to find more height somehow.

Add some chimney up there and I think you will see a major difference. That said, I'm not a fan of wood burning fireplaces in the bedroom.

Reactions: Grisu
My plan is to put an small insert or free-stander there and install a liner. I'll have to find more height somehow.

It's very likely that a stove or insert won't meet code for a bedroom install.

I wouldn't burn in that fireplace anymore. Just too many risks for CO buildup and so on.

Not only is a woodstove in a bedroom a safety issue I would also be concerned about heating myself out of the room. Most people sleep better in slightly cooler temps. Instead of putting a stove in I would think about closing the fireplace for good. Stuff insulation in the top and close the chimney up. Do the same with the damper area in the room. Maybe get a nice front for the fireplace opening and behind it stuff some more insulation. That alone may save you from a lot of heat loss and negate the need for an additional heat source.

Last edited:
After closing it up, maybe you could put an electric fireplace insert in? Might add some ambiance without the safety issues of wood.

Reactions: Grisu
If you just want the ambience of a fire, light some candles in the fireplace- maybe pillar candles of various heights.

My wife has put candles in the bedroom fireplace, she likes to light candles around the house, talk about a fire hazard.

We were already married about 25 years when we moved into the current home with the bedroom fireplace. I think that put a "damper" on the romantic aspects of the fireplace, I never considered using it was a safety issue - I go to bed with a fire going in my Quadrafire insert, hey a fire starting in the living room and downstairs may be more of a life threat than a fire that starts in the bedroom. In the bedroom case if one wakes up (smoke detector) they have a better chance of making it out of the house than if the detector goes off because the stairway is ablaze.

Johnstra, I had exactly the same thing going on with my fireplace, this is what led me to having the insert put in. What a smokey mess!!
First, if you absolutely MUST burn in the bedroom, if you haven't done so already, get a CO detector, pronto!!
That said, I assume you have a single story home, that would account for the shorter chimney, mine was the same. also, you have to take into account other nearly structures and trees that are taller than your chimney--that will affect draft.
I see from your signature that you have a stove. This will lower the barometric pressure in the house, and also pull the draft towards itself. Fireplaces can be affected by bathroom fans, and even furnaces running at the same time. If you open a window in the bedroom a crack, does the draft improve?
There are chimney-top fans that can be installed when all else fails, but remember, that a fireplace, though lovely and romantic, is robbing your house of heat when you use it. maybe it's time for one of those electric inserts, or the gel-alcohol things.
Whatever you decide, good luck and stay safe!

I had the same issues with my fireplace. I extended the flue 1' and reduced the opening size when I installed my limestone arch. It no longer has any draft issues.
You can try adding a smoke guard, its a metal strip at the top of the opening used to reduce to size. It often only takes a little bit of a reduction to make a big difference.

Reactions: firebroad
I forgot about the smoke guard, I had that too. Also, a set of good glass doors will help, though it will cut down on the radiant heat.

The problem is the 10 foot tall chimney, or could be that the firebox opening to flue ratio is not sized right, or its missing a smokeshelf . Living in an old house we have open fireplaces in every bedroom. They are on 20ft flues and will draft strong to suck you out of the room. No smoke ever.

We use them regularly and I've never anything register on the digital readout CO meters. I'm not afraid of them, used responsibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.