HELP! Need glass or door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptar

Jan 8, 2007
I am looking for either the replacement glass, the entire door(with glass) or any advice to make three pieces work for a 1992 Whitfield WP2 Advantage

It is one piece that bent which is making it difficult because I can have a flat piece cut but this one has to bends for the side views. Does anyone know where it can be found? I tried Lennox and all over the Internet but to no avail.
Any salvage places? nyone have an old stove like this
Attached is a picture of the door. Some manauls I found on-line indicate that the glass comes in three pieces but this one was one piece. It would cost a fortune to have a piece bent. I don’t know how I could seal three pieces.
Thanks for any guidance

Attachments

• whitfleld door.jpg
    whitfleld door.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 463
That chunk of glass is north of $300.00. I think you should be able to put the ADVII-T door with the three piece glass on there with little issue. Call 1 800-299-0027and talk to technical. They'll give you part #'s etc.

Shane said:
That chunk of glass is north of $300.00. I think you should be able to put the ADVII-T door with the three piece glass on there with little issue. Call 1 800-299-0027and talk to technical. They'll give you part #'s etc.
I have had 2 on order from Lennox
I placed the order in Oct and still waiting.

the specs I have found on my stove (different maker) called for a one piece glass that is curved like yours. But my stove(second hand) has 3 pieces of glass. There is a tiny gap between the pieces. It's never been a problem. If it were me I would try to find the three pieces of glass and have them put in.

Thanks for the help

Hearthtools: Just out of curiousity, how much did Lennox want for the door?

DavidV: How did you seal the three plates of glass? I can't imagine using any type of caulk would last long and doesn't a gap cause odor and make the stove less efficient?

Masterof Fire: The door is steel

reptar said:
Thanks for the help

Hearthtools: Just out of curiousity, how much did Lennox want for the door?

DavidV: How did you seal the three plates of glass? I can't imagine using any type of caulk would last long and doesn't a gap cause odor and make the stove less efficient?

Masterof Fire: The door is steel
If I ever get the two I ordered in I can sell you one for $400 plus shipping.
I have the other sold.

$400. wow , speciality item i would say .

#1 I would look on the internet for custom wood stove glass and see what it would cost to have one made , if they can build one like yours.

#2 You can also look at getting steel side plates for the 45° side windows and just run a front glass , the side plates can be built to have a channel to hold and seal the glass. I thought about upright pillers at the corners made of steel to put in front and side glass but would be afraid the small steel pillers would warp because of there small size.

#3 You could run an all steel front to match the glass but would loose the window :long:

#4 You can look into buying a new todays modern EPA efficient stove and put the $400. new glass cost into the new one vs fixing the older one.

#5 Foot the $400. to invest back into your stove for new glass.

I vote for #1 & #4 and in that order .

Keep in mind
Ceramic for wood and pellet stove in Sheet FLAT form runs from $.40 to $.60 a sq inch.
that glass that is bent is formed special for the advantage plus and advatage III stoves.
Not sure you can find it.

the $400 I show is for the glass and Glass gasket.

Roospike said:

#1 I would look on the internet for custom wood stove glass and see what it would cost to have one made , if they can build one like yours.

#2 You can also look at getting steel side plates for the 45° side windows and just run a front glass , the side plates can be built to have a channel to hold and seal the glass. I thought about upright pillers at the corners made of steel to put in front and side glass but would be afraid the small steel pillers would warp because of there small size.

#3 You could run an all steel front to match the glass but would loose the window :long:

#4 You can look into buying a new todays modern EPA efficient stove and put the $400. new glass cost into the new one vs fixing the older one.

hearthtools said:
Keep in mind
Ceramic for wood and pellet stove in Sheet FLAT form runs from $.40 to $.60 a sq inch.
that glass that is bent is formed special for the advantage plus and advatage III stoves.

Roospike said:

^ thats a good price and its a hard to find item.
That stove is getting close to its usefull life. I would consider replaceing it. All it takes if for a few more things to go bad and you will have $1000 invested in a 14 year old stove. Lets see, one glass, combution blower and control board would be over $1000 and they are common replacements on the advantage.

hearthtools said:
Keep in mind

Roospike said:

Very few glass suppliers bend glass. I am aware of one here in Salt Lake, Art Glass Studio (801) 293-9115. They bend glass for business all over the Intermountain West. They are very, very good. They bend furniture glass for me and other refinisher/restorers on a custom basis all the time. The question is, do they do ceram??? If you would like to get a quote, give them a call. You will need to send your door to them for fitting and installing. I have seen them do some amazing stuff. Call usually ends up being three way, so be patient. The owner is Scandinavian, I believe, Danish. His daughter is very fluent in English and usually translates. I't worth a shot if you want to make the investment. I am aware of only about three places that will do custom bending in the country, although there are lots of production facilities.

MountainStoveGuy said:
hearthtools said:
Keep in mind

Roospike said:

That stove is getting close to its usefull life. I would consider replaceing it. All it takes if for a few more things to go bad and you will have $1000 invested in a 14 year old stove. Lets see, one glass, combution blower and control board would be over $1000 and they are common replacements on the advantage.

The older advantage II -T and III stoves are good stoves.
Not counting the glass you could spend no more than $800 and replace all the major components and have a NEW stove that will last another 14 years.
Why spend Over $3k on a new stove?

hearthtools said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
hearthtools said:
Keep in mind

Roospike said:

The older advantage II -T and III stoves are good stoves.
Not counting the glass you could spend no more than $800 and replace all the major components and have a NEW stove that will last another 14 years.
Why spend Over $3k on a new stove?

They are fantastic stoves. Im not looking forward to dealing with lennox for support. They already told us there not making replacements parts. Im sure you can outsorce some of them, but knowing that, i would not invest my money in them unless it was a few hundred bucks. JMO.

Like I said it was like this when I got it. The old specs I dug up showed a onepiece window and then some 3 piece ones with grid. My stove has 3 individual pieces and there is a 1/16 inch gape between the pieces. Maybe just 1/32, but it has never been a problemno smoke comes thru it. I am sure room air goes into the stove thru the gap but again....never been any kind of problem. Maybe that's how mine was made originally. it's a 1989 stove so it's been around a whiile.

Thanks for all the good information.
I did find the one piece glass locally (Connecticut) and you guys wewre right on -he wants $400.
I have called looking at a full door replacement using the the ADVII and this retails for $479.

I guess I have some thinking to do.

Just out of curiousity, what types of things can I test before installing the stove to ensure some of the major parts are working?
I plugged it in and turned it on. the fan was working. I followed the priming instructions and the auger was dropping pellets. How would I know if the control board or other parts are bad?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.