Help!!! Need Some Advice for my fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpc08

Nov 7, 2008
Eastern, MA
I’m trying to decide what options work best for me based on my existing fireplace location 1) wood fireplace insert 2) small wood stove set in the fireplace, or 3) a hearth heater such as a “Cozy Grate” with power fan.

My fire place is located in a 12’ x 14’ living room of a very old cape house. There are 4 rooms on the first floor making up a total area of 1200 sf. The fireplace is slightly off-centered on the 12’-0” wall (center of the opening is located approximately 40” off one wall when viewed from front) and there are two small door openings to other rooms on either side and within 3 ft of the fireplace. The fireplace is terribly inefficient and at best can raise the roof temperature 1 to 3 degrees.

The fireplace opening is 40”w x 32” high x 20” deep at the bottom and 17” deep at the top of the opening. A brick hearth extends 16” out from the fireplace opening and is flush with the wood floor (I can’t really extend this as it will interfere with the opening). The bottom skirt of the mantel is 37” high above the floor and the shelf is 51 1/2” above the floor and is 6” wide.

I was considering a wood stove insert but I think I’m limited by the depth of the hearth. I do not want to extend or raise the hearth because it will interfere with the travel path of the adjacent opening. Also, I’m concerned that too much heat would be generated in this room but it would be nice to heat the entire floor.

Can an insert be recessed into the opening about 2”-4”? Does it make more sense to recess a small wood stove or does a Cozy-Grate sound like it will work.
Would I need to modify my hearth or mantel?

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Mark

Welcome to hearth.com.

Sounds like the proper insert would fit nicely in your space. The nice thing about an insert is that it makes good use of the space you have. I'd also recommend that you do the rounds at some of the stove stores in your area and talk to the people there. Bring along a photo of your fireplace with your dimensions.

Keep in mind that if you're looking at buying a new wood insert this time of year, that you will have a supply issue with your firewood. To have your wood stove operate properly, you need nice dry wood or you'll end up with smoky fires that don't produce much heat. So, you need to either spend a small fortune on "seasoned" firewood, or buy wood one year in advance. Be careful because many suppliers of "seasoned" wood will be giving you wood that's still not ready to burn for a full year, and charging you more $$ for it.

Enjoy,

Dan

I would not recess an insert nor any new fireplace. Obviously, you are concerned with meeting the 20" extended hearth to meet code...correct? If you are going to replace the existing fireplace (and pipe), then you would simply concede to the fact that you would raise the extended hearth (and maybe even the hearth under the fireplace) by 2-8 inches. Then you just build the extended hearth after the install to the desired height (meeting the fireplace's K-Value) and to the 20" minimum depth depth from the fireplace. However, if you heart is set on an insert, you will have to raise the hearth under the insert a couple of inches with cement board so that an extended hearth can be built-up in front of it. You will have to plan ahead to see what material you need to meet the K-value; this will tell you the minimum height for your hearth to be raised. However, you will then likely be more limited on options for an insert due to the loss of height inside your existing fireplace.
kev

Status
Not open for further replies.