help needed chimney pipe install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

upny

Jun 26, 2014
ny
is there a maximum distance a class a pipe can be away from an exterior wall, assuming i can brace it properly? i know the min is 2". trying to go through the shed roof of an attached porch, straight up and outside of a soffit that extends 18" from the wall. the pipe would need to be about 2 feet out from the wall due to interior clearances. if i need to i could offset the black pipe inside to get the clearance to 2" from the soffit and attach the standard brace to it. does another foot or so matter since the pipe would already be 20" from the wall anyway? total run is 15' of class A. appreciate any insight

No. Think of it as if you were running a new pipe thru the shed roof & there was NO soffitt to deal with.
Not an issue, as long as it's braced securely.

No. Think of it as if you were running a new pipe thru the shed roof & there was NO soffitt to deal with.
Not an issue, as long as it's braced securely.

that makes complete sense. guess it was the height that concerned me. never saw an install that far away from the house. i just need to figure a way to brace it properly now.

The long horizontal section is going to slow down flue gases. Coupled with two 90 deg turns in the smoke path and a 15Ft chimney this could lead to a grumpy stove. What stove make/model is going to be connected to this chimney?

that makes complete sense. guess it was the height that concerned me. never saw an install that far away from the house. i just need to figure a way to brace it properly now.

Standard Roof Brace Kits should be all that's required, but you may have to extend them as far as they can go.

The long horizontal section is going to slow down flue gases. Coupled with two 90 deg turns in the smoke path and a 15Ft chimney this could lead to a grumpy stove. What stove make/model is going to be connected to this chimney?

no horizontal. goes straight up but needs to set back because of the inside front clearance to a wood threshhold

OK, I follow now.

Status
Not open for further replies.