Help needed identifying this wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I'm glad to have this site too. I've cut wood with my dad a lot when i was little. Last year. I just starting burning wood again. I've always had got lucky and been able to cut red oak and allot of sweet gum and popular. NO MORE SWWET GUM AND POPULAR IF I CAN HELP IT. I've been reaching Ash all week. I've heard Ash you pretty much burn green. I'm taking a break as you can tell and sipping on a Gatorade. Thanks again for the help. I hope i don't sound redundant in the future. Sometimes people on sites want to tell you to do a search... too much BS with that sometimes. I can't say enough. Thanks for the warm welcome and help. Tree is down and ready to cut up.

You can pretty much burn any wood when it is green . . . if you have enough heat and expose the wood to a flame long enough . . . but this can be terribly inefficient and result in a large amount of creosote. Ash may have a slightly lower moisture content, but I would highly suggest seasoning it as Knots mentioned to get the full effect (and BTUs) from ash . . . a few months vs. a year = a whole new burning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.