Help needed - Stove pipe driving me nuts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

porkweez

Nov 9, 2014
NC
Ok, so chimney is done and new wood stove is in place. I just need to connect stove pipe and fire it up. The single wall stove pipe has been snapped together, 2 full sections and a small cut 3rd section all lined up to go. But wait, they won't fit into place! The last bit is too long, and if it's cut shorter to clear, then I lose the necessary overlap. Help! How can I make this fit into place? Surely, folks had a way before telescoping parts and slip joints.

Reactions: jakeyboy
Hi. It helps if you have a friend who can help you pull the stove out forward foot or so, tilt the stove backwards on the hind legs and slip the bottom piece of pipe into the flue collar, and then together with your helper wiggle the stove back into place with the stove pipe inserted. After that all you need to do is put your screws in your pipe and start your first fires up to cure the paint on the stove.... Good luck.

And then, some time before next year when you have to brush/clean the flue, go out and buy a piece of telescoping double wall stove pipe, so you won't ever have to worry about doing the "2 man flue-dance" again.... :)

I assume you are going straight up with your connector to the Class A chimney... If so, it can be achieved by sliding the stove forward & tilting it back towards the ceiling support. You can now assemble your pipe in the stove & with a couple of helpers, slide & tilt the stove back to horizontal as the connector slips under the support box...It's a major workout, but it's doable...

DO yourself a favor, and get a pc of telescoping pipe.

And the first chance you get, replace the "snap" together stuff with good double wall pipe. Far more durable and easier to work with.

Awesome. Wet and cold where I'm at, good day for a fire.

What is a good double wall pipe to get was going to change mine. need a section and a 4 inch piece an elbow and part of a full section for my install. I have single wall now but after reading some guess I should change it.

Thanks guys! 'Tilt and wiggle' did the trick. First fire burning now. :)
I'm really glad that worked for you. I tried that and it did not go so well. I ended up having to make a cut into one of my pipes to essentially create a telescoping piece. Once I got it where I needed it to be I used screws to pull out the the piece I stuffed down inside to make a tight connection. No smoke or leaks so it appears to have worked.

yup go to lows, they have a single wall stove pipe kit $45.00, has the sliding piece you need

Status
Not open for further replies.