Help needed with another Englander...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strangemainer

Sep 2, 2008
Waterboro, Maine
Hello everyone,

Let me start with saying I have been 100% happy with my 55-SHP-22. I clean it, and maintain it regularly. I bought it new and
have been using it as my primary heat source since the fall of 2008.

The other day my lower auger stopped turning. After cleaning out all the pellets, still no movement.
So it must be a motor right? no, the new motor from Grainger didn't work either. Then the upper auger stopped.
I disconnected both motors, pulled out the augers and inspected. Found no problems.
I hooked everything back up, and tested the auger motors using a separate power cord to the wall. BOTH AUGERS WERE TURNING!

I did the diagnostic test listed on the ESW website. Both blowers worked. No auger movement.
The fuse does not look blown either.
My thought is that it must be the circuit board, right?

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Did you check your vacuum switch and vacuum hose for blockage or cracked/disconnected hose? If everything looks OK, try jumping the vacuum switch....if augers run, switch is bad or stuck(?)

what do you mean by jumping the vacuum switch?

I checked the vacuum switch, no cracks, everything looks good.

strangemainer said:
what do you mean by jumping the vacuum switch?

Take the 2 electrical leads that go to it, unplug from the switch, and connect them together.

Obviously, unplug stove before doing this, and wrap w/ electrical tape to guard against shorts while testing.

strangemainer said:
I checked the vacuum switch, no cracks, everything looks good.

Did you disconnect both ends of the hose and blow it any ash out of it? Also, check the hose barb that the hose connects to on the stove for any ash plugging it up.

BTW, when was the last time the comb. blower & entire exhaust pipe was cleaned from top to stove?

I cleaned the vent pipe completely a couple weeks ago, and the blower annually.

Maybe I'm having a blond moment, but I'm not understanding what you mean with the vac switch.

Am i suppose to pull the wires that go into it, and connect them together?

checked the hose, no ash.

strangemainer said:
Am i suppose to pull the wires that go into it, and connect them together?

Yes, then plug stove back in and try it. If it works, vac switch may be bad.

ok, how will i know if the vac switch is working?

would a bad vac switch prevent the augers from working?

strangemainer said:
ok, how will i know if the vac switch is working?

You won't....this is bypassing the switch, just to see if the switch is the cause of the augers not working. If you connect the wires together ("jumpered"), and then the stove works like normal, then it's VERY possible that the vac switch is bad, and needs to be replaced.

If the augers still don't work, your problem is elsewhere.

Ok, now i got it.

After i test the vac switch, I should know if its the control board or the switch.

Jumped the vac switch...NO auger movement.....

Well, other than double checking the control board and making sure all the wires are connected firmly, I'd say it's time to contact Englander tomorrow. Tell them all the things you tried, including the diagnostic test you did, and what you did today.....see what they say.

Mike H. was on the forum last night....maybe he'll see your thread tonight and chime in on what it might be.

One last thing....did you try doing a hard circuit board reset? If you didn't, it's worth a shot:

Unplug the stove, and then plug back in. Within 5 seconds, press all 3 bottom buttons at the same time, and let go....you should see
"F 5" in the display and then it will go off.

At this point, reset your bottom buttons to your previous setting. Then try starting the stove. If it works, then you may also have to reset the stove "mode" (a,b,c,or d).... think the PDV uses mode "d", but I'm not 100% sure.

Tried the resetting method, nothing as well.

Imacman, THANK YOU for your help.

I will call ESW in the morning. If its a circuit board, looks like $200

UPDATE...

I called ESW tec line. They were EXTREMELY HELPFUL and Patient with me as my 3 year old was screaming in the background the whole call!

I switched the wires from the convection blower to the lower auger. I know those wires are good from the diagnostic test. Still nothing.

It must be a circuit board. $217 plus shipping. 2 to 5 business days it will be here. Just in time for the warm up expected around here!!
I miss my stove.

Hello

Can you turn the auger by hand and then see if it works? Sometimes that will help if there is a auger jam!

Yep, it turns fine. I cleaned all the pellets out when I removed the auger from the shaft.
I tested both augers with a power cord to the outlet. They work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.