Help needed with firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieseldog

Sep 24, 2014
Western Mass
I searched for two hours here and on google but have myself totally confused. Firebrick comes in different densities. For a fireplace insert, do I want the dense bricks or light? I understand the lighter bricks have more air trapped in them and should insulate better. Do I want to reflect heat back off the bricks surface?
If you have knowledge of which brick I should use then please let me know. Thanks.

Need to know what stove we are talking about. If it has the dense ceramic brick in it now, that is what ya want to replace it with.

The stove is a 6 year old Regency HI300 that I just bought for my son. The firebrick in it is very light but maybe the first owner replaced it. There are 10 bricks needing replacement and perhaps I should replace them all if the more dense brick is needed. Thank you.

I haven't had to replace any yet, but the owner of the hearth store would have me use the dense brick. Mine is lighter but not as light as those in my old Quadrafires, so maybe it'll last longer. I shudder to think what a full factory replacement set would cost. PS: I love my insert!

In addition to the ten bricks needed for the HI300, I will be getting 74 firebricks for a new maple syrup evaporator that I just bought. I have thrown the same question out there on a maple syrup web site. Buying that many bricks, I want to get the right ones. Thanks.

In addition to the ten bricks needed for the HI300, I will be getting 74 firebricks for a new maple syrup evaporator that I just bought. I have thrown the same question out there on a maple syrup web site. Buying that many bricks, I want to get the right ones. Thanks.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what is the maple syrup site? That's one of my favorite hobbies.

I have a Regency F1100 stove, a few years older than yours, it has the lightweight bricks.
Your insert likely came with the lightweight bricks, that's what you should replace them with. Check with a dealer to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.