Help needed with wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, I hope this is enough info for an ID. I was given some wood but don't know what kind it is or if it is worth the trouble getting it. The wood is what I would call a off white with black streaks thru it. The tree came down in a storm about 6 months ago. It has been bucked up into 16" rounds and some are about 24" a around. The bark falls right off and the logs seem light compared to Ash. Was told that it has seeds that have what might be called a spinner on them. They spin like a helicopter as they fall and are good at pluging up rain gutters. I think I will end up with like 1 1/2 cords if I get it.

Thanks for any help!
Don

ckarotka said:
Helicopters = maple

Not just maple, ash has them too. I think there is also one or two other species that have similar mechanisms but not exactly the same.

To the OP, a picture would be really great. A picture is worth a thousand words... and you only gave us a few words in your description so you better just post a pic :)

Will try to get a picture up soon. I know it is not Ash as I burn alot of it. Would go with the Maple but it sure seems light and the other Maple we have cut did not have the black streaks. Will take picture in the moring.
Thanks

CountryBoy19 said:
ckarotka said:
Helicopters = maple

Not just maple, ash has them too. I think there is also one or two other species that have similar mechanisms but not exactly the same.

To the OP, a picture would be really great. A picture is worth a thousand words... and you only gave us a few words in your description so you better just post a pic :)

Opps!

Box Elder is a species of maple, and has those seed helicopter things. It dries light, and sometimes has red streaks through it.
Don't know about black streaks. Could be from age.

Status
Not open for further replies.