Help! New home, heat exchanger, clueless!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New-to-diy

Dec 12, 2014
Michigan
Hi, just bought a house with a fireplace. The fireplace has an Arvin Industries heat exchanger and I believe it works, at least the fan works. It says to use solid fuel but looks like it has a gas line. Can someone please help me understand what I am looking at?

Pictures would help identify. It was/is not all that uncommon to have a gas stub into the fireplace. It COULD be for two different reasons. One - a gas log was intended, or Two - some units have a gas assisted lighter for solid fuel (gas lights the wood on fire.) I would not make the assumption one way or the other until it can be positively identified. Depending on how it was built or installed it could pose danger if not used properly.

Pictures would help identify. It was/is not all that uncommon to have a gas stub into the fireplace. It COULD be for two different reasons. One - a gas log was intended, or Two - some units have a gas assisted lighter for solid fuel (gas lights the wood on fire.) I would not make the assumption one way or the other until it can be positively identified. Depending on how it was built or installed it could pose danger if not used properly.

Here are pictures of where it comes in the house and where it connects to unit. Please ignore the ashes. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20141212_143557.jpg
    20141212_143557.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 20141212_131844.jpg
    20141212_131844.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 171
That looks very much like copper running to the valve. If that is the case it would be used to run a gas log set - NOT a starting finger. Copper can not handle the temps of solid wood burning. Is it still being supplied by gas? I would not be burning wood in there till I could verify safety. Somebody with a keener eye than I have needs to look at this, either on this site or calling in a pro.
calling @DAKSY

I cannot tell what those pics are showing. I can see a shut off & what appears to be a flexible (3/8") copper line.
I see a BIP 90 & a BIP nipple either going into or coming out of the wall. Do you have LP or NG coming into your home?
What does the "unit" look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.