Help newbe pick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, sort of. But in this case we're both happy!

Reactions: raybonz
Gentlemen, we had to make a decision today because moving the doors was about to start holding up the framing crew. I did some shopping around and this is what was available in my area that was on sale or seemed to be a reasonable price. I wanted to finalize everything so we could lay everything out so the flue pipe had a straight run out of the stove and up all the way out the roof.

quadrafire - isle royal cast iron only no enamel $2400
Buck model 21 $1791
alderlea T5 brown enamel finish $2700
PE Summit $Lost the price
Hearthstone Phoenix brown enamel with soapstone $2925
Hearthstone Heritage Seafoam enamel with soapstone $3594
Jotul F600 Ivory Enamel - $2000 Also cheaper on the install than the quadrafire dealer.

Wait on it............drumroll............

We picked the Jotul in white enamel because it seemed to be the best deal. I just got through laying out the corner and moving the doors so we can get it in there and still use the side door if needed. We are still not sure how we are going to finish the hearth but we are thinking of soapstone tile on the floor with red brick on the wall behind it. But this decision is still up in the air. We are looking for some deals on tile or other materials.

Thanks for all the help. WIll post some pictures when we get it in. Probably around 4 months. We are excited about burning some wood. I am going to have some covered storage spots made and store some wood as soon as the house is dried in so it can dry out.

And yes the wife is happy. The stove has already been named "The White Whale" by me.

And yes the wife is happy. The stove has already been named "The White Whale" by me.
And thus a happy marriage...it sounds like you got a great price on a great stove!

The marketing on the Apex is confusing, almost contradictory. It sounds like they're sizing it for the Yukon.

"This large firebox and the super-efficient burning process allows the Apex to heat from 800 to 1,400 sq. ft. home for up to 14 hours."
Yet it also states it is capable of putting out a steady 50,000 btus for 20 hrs. That amount of heat would easily heat this old 2000 sq ft house for 20 hrs at 25F outdoors.

Feeding that thing would take a wheelbarrow full each time. If I built new I'd make the house so efficient that it could be heated with a little Keystone. My BIL did that in 1980 and most of the time they heat the house with their wood fired pizza oven. They only fire up the wood boiler when temps drop into the teens.

We picked the Jotul in white enamel because it seemed to be the best deal. I just got through laying out the corner and moving the doors so we can get it in there and still use the side door if needed. We are still not sure how we are going to finish the hearth but we are thinking of soapstone tile on the floor with red brick on the wall behind it. But this decision is still up in the air. We are looking for some deals on tile or other materials.

Thanks for all the help. WIll post some pictures when we get it in. Probably around 4 months. We are excited about burning some wood. I am going to have some covered storage spots made and store some wood as soon as the house is dried in so it can dry out.

Love the name. Congrats on your new stove. Time to start seasoning wood for next year and beyond. Wood seasons best in single rows, full sun, and wind. Top cover only.

The marketing on the Apex is confusing, almost contradictory. It sounds like they sizing it for the Yukon.

"This large firebox and the super-efficient burning process allows the Apex to heat from 800 to 1,400 sq. ft. home for up to 14 hours."
Yet it also states it is capable of putting out a steady 50,000 btus for 20 hrs. That amount of heat would easily heat this old 2000 sq ft house for 20 hrs at 25F outdoors.

Feeding that thing would take a wheelbarrow full each time. If I built new I'd make the house so efficient that it could be heated with a little Keystone. My BIL did that in 1980 and most of the time they heat the house with their wood fired pizza oven. They only fire up the wood boiler when temps drop into the teens.

If I remember correctly a guy I was talking with said he fills his firebox half way and it gives him 24hrs of heat in a newer house.

But yeah I agree with efficient......make almost net zero:)

Walls 2 feet thick

Goood score Jeremy and good plan. That's a great price. Moving the doorway will allow you to do this right. The stove will be a welcome addition to the home. My guess is next winter you'll be renaming it the "White Knight"!

Reactions: PapaDave
Congrats Jeremy that is a good price for that stove!

Ray

Thanks for all the help. I was not really excited about the white color, but it just seemed like a good deal. The dealer said he had it for 2 seasons and just had to get rid of it. That was the reason for the low price.

I have a walkout basement with around 20' long retaining walls. My plan is to build a frame along each wall with a roof for wood storage. I was planning to extend the roof of the frame against the wall and maybe leave enough room for 3" to 4" between the ends of the logs and the wall. Is this acceptable or should I find a spot where the wood is open on both sides?

Are there any threads with pictures of wood storage ideas?

My wife found some slate tile at a wholesale place and I think we are going to do white beadboard behind the stove. I think it is going to look good and be cheap as well.

FYI the install was agreed to be time and materials not to exceed $2700. The dealer thinks he can come in well below this due to install in new construction. I will post the final price when I have it. I always appreciate when people post prices for comparison. The install is on first floor with 9' ceiling, has to run up through boxed in area in 2nd floor, then up through attic and out roof. I figure worst case about a 28' run. I will post the final specs on the install when they are done.

Jeremy

There are tons of threads on wood storage ideas and the best techniques for seasoning firewood in the Wood Shed Forum. The more sun and wind that you can
expose your split firewood to, the faster it will season. I store my "ready to burn" firewood in a pole shed, but it doesn't go in there until it's had at least two years in
the open. Looking forward to the pics of the stove after installation. I have a similar install in my house with a boxed in area in a walk-in closet on the upper floor.

IMG_0799_zps42759a1a.jpg

I was looking at info on building a woodshed and thought you might want a pic of finished product. Thanks for all the help. Still working on building up wood and learning to run stove.

IMG_0799_zps42759a1a.jpg

I was looking at info on building a woodshed and thought you might want a pic of finished product. Thanks for all the help. Still working on building up wood and learning to run stove.
Classic look! Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.