Help! Normal sounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplegirl

Sep 7, 2007
South Shore, MA
I just lit up my first fire in the new wood stove. We installed the chimney/stove pipe ourselves. I'm hearing a muffled popping sound (similar to some one shaking a sheet in the wind) coming from the top of my chimney. Is this normal? Thanks!

maplegirl said:
I just lit up my first fire in the new wood stove. We installed the chimney/stove pipe ourselves. I'm hearing a muffled popping sound (similar to some one shaking a sheet in the wind) coming from the top of my chimney. Is this normal? Thanks!

Doesn't sound normal, but might just be the various bits "settling in". If it's not a difficult thing to do, it might be a good idea to go up and look to see if there are any obvious problems, otherwise I'd burn a few more times and see if it goes away. If it doesn't consider calling a pro to check things out.

Gooserider

You will hear sounds of the metal "settling in" but after a while the sounds should go away. If you installed the chimney a while ago you might want to check to see if everything was the way you left it, i.e. bird nest squirrels, or other small critters could get nosy.

My setup does make noise from time to time as things expand with heat. ONce it gets hot it should stop.

I had a Pacific Energy insert and chimney liner put in last fall and for about the first 2 months, there were a lot of pinging and other noises due to what I figure was expansion due to heat. It pretty much stopped by the end of December.

Yeah, just about the time you get used to the pinging noises of expansion and contraction, they'll stop completely and you'll forget all about them.

Thanks everyone! I'll just keep an eye on things as I burn.

maplegirl said:
Thanks everyone! I'll just keep an eye on things as I burn.

You just did that install last weekend right? And you did it yourself? First time DIY too? Why not get an independent inspection from a competent inspector? *Cough*, Elk, Ahem, *Cough*, Elk. Might cost a few bucks but well worth the peace of mind. Just my 2 cents.

My Heritage with a vertical double wall connector to vertical class A makes some noise in the pipes on warm up. I think it is the various bits of metal expanding and sliding across each other. Does it a little bit on cool down too. The sound seems to come from the ceiling support but could be created anywhere in the pipe. Not the same as a tick tick tick of a heating up stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.