Help! Old wood stove, need help bringing chimney up to code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbushart

Apr 15, 2015
Madison, WI
To anyone who can help, I've recently purchased a home in Wisconsin that was built in 1983. The stove is probably that old, has a large 8" flu. The single wall black pipe went up about 2 feet, 90 degree angle, through a brick wall into my utility room, 90 degree angle to go up about 30 inches and then connects to class A, stainless double walled pipe that goes up and out about 20 feet. When we purchased the house we were told it wasn't up to code, and the problems were that the single walled pipe didn't have a T when it turned upwards, and the single walled pipe doesn't have enough clearance to combustibles when going through the dividing wall, wood frame, dry wall, brick face on the room side. The class A is Oliver MacLeod model SSG Projet.

What I would love to do is somehow connect my existing old stove to the existing old Oliver MacLeod 8" double walled stainless class A. The problem is that I can't get Oliver MacLeod product in the US, and that I'm not even sure if I found the product that I could put in the T, pass it through the wall, and connect it to the stove. I've been instructed that mixing brands is a no no.

Can anyone help me figure out a solution that will pass code and make the connection from existing chimney, through the wall, and to my existing stove? Can you mix different lines made by the same manufacturer? Anyone know how to get ahold of Oliver MacLeod product? The US version is Secure Temp ASHT, is that interchangeable? 18 inch drop pipe, T connector, 24" double walled to go through the wall with a wall thimble, supports, etc. Are there consultants to hire to help with this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3361.JPG
    IMG_3361.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_3856.PNG
    IMG_3856.PNG
    102.7 KB · Views: 398
Can anyone help me figure out a solution that will pass code and make the connection from existing chimney, through the wall, and to my existing stove? Can you mix different lines made by the same manufacturer? Anyone know how to get ahold of Oliver MacLeod product? The US version is Secure Temp ASHT, is that interchangeable? 18 inch drop pipe, T connector, 24" double walled to go through the wall with a wall thimble, supports, etc. Are there consultants to hire to help with this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

You need a new chimney that chimney does not have a high enough temperature rating to pass code. You should get a sweep out to check it out but if they are any good i will bet that they will confirm what i told you.

First off - I have no idea why a T would be needed, second I loath 90 deg bends. IMOP best choice would be to convert to current available materials flue wise. of course that is a major expense- at least according to my wallet. Its possible that the Oliver class a is ok yet but weather it will connect to current items is questionable. you do need double wall inside and proper fire code pass through's. just that alone will require quite a bit of work on that brick face area so at that point you might as well do a complete single source system and if possible ditch the 90 deg in favor of 45 deg items. An awful lot of what was used back in the day is not compatible with current materials, and codes have changed over the past 20+ years. As to stove itself a lot of changes in the appliances themselves since that time as well. Except for some very large stoves that use 8" most all use 6" flues now. Nice hearth area on the face of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.