Help on cleaning pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chachdave

Feb 10, 2009
Southern NH
First year with insert and I bought a 6inch brush and rod kit that will reach entire liner run. I got a ranch so getting to roof is easy and had a couple of questions about cleaning.

1st Should I disconnect liner from stove before brushing. I thought if I did that I could zip tie a bag on liner to catch all the soot.

2nd If I leave liner to stove will a regular shop vac suck up soot without making a mess out of vac exhaust.

chachdave said:
If I leave liner to stove will a regular shop vac suck up soot without making a mess out of vac exhaust.

You have to buy the right filter. I think it's the same one you would use for drywall dust, but I can't remember.

Normally an insert will be more difficult to remove the liner from than a free standing stove. See if its not possible to remove the top baffle board , brick , and or insulation blankett. this will allow all to fall down to firebox and can be scooped out with the ashes. The installation manual I looked up appears that it should not be too difficult. But then I`m not doing it!
I dont know if you need dry wall bags or not,,,but I can tell you not to vacumne up drywall dust without one. (that shop vac no-longer works)

Status
Not open for further replies.