help on heat exchanger for maxim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmfan36

Jun 4, 2008
north jersey
Hi everyone,getting ready to install the maxim boiler.and was wondering whats the best way to hook it up to my boiler. heat exchanger or direct hook up.any help greatly appreciated

Sorry I can't help with how to hook it up to an existing boiler as mine is an exchanger in a forced air furnace. I am just now (like tonight) going to install a water to water exchanger on my hot water heater, and it was my understanding that you do something similar when hooking up to an existing boiler?
Heating my garage, home, and hot water with wood pellets this year!
KC

Hi, I just fired up my maxim today, I did the heat exchanger set up just like they show in the manual. after I remembered to turn down the aquastat on my furnace (like they also say to do) I found my circulator comes on but the furnace doesn't fire, the temp on my maxim drops while this is happening, and the auger motor comes on, so so far so good.
I bought a 20 plate HX off of ebay for $179 with free shipping from freeheat4u2 this seller was the only one I found on ebay that actualy gives a good rule of thumb chart for what size HX you need.
I did a HX because I plan on using the two tons of pellets I bought this summer and then going back to my left over oil and the free jet fuel I get from work when ever we drain an aircrft for maintenance. Currently I have about 300 gal of kerosene from work in barrels. I also kept my furnace loop pressurized because my house doesn't have bleeders on the baseboards, and until this year it was all one loop of 3/4" copper with an airscoop on the return. If I ran the system open I was afraid I would have to put in bleeders.
I'm not sure I will keep this system set up this way, but if I go to an open system I will use the HX to preheat my hot water instead, so no money lost.
josh

Status
Not open for further replies.