Help others in serious economic need - donate stove supplies, used stoves, etc. to help this effort.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
Guys, I know lots of ya'll have been doing installations over the past few monthes. I'm here to beg for any left over supplies you might have. I just returned home from a ladies house where I will be installing one of the donated wood stoves for this winter. This lady is in serious need- Last winter she resorted to going to the library and reading books to keep warm because she couldn't afford to heat her house for more than a few hours. In reality, she was only heating one room with a space heater and keeps the rest of the house blocked off.

After reviewing her installation today, I realize that due to combustible clearences, I'm going to need a short piece of double wall stove pipe and a double wall 90 degree bend. I have all of the single wall pipe that I need, but if anyone has any of that, I'd be GLAD to take it becaise I am going to be doing another two installs shortly within the next 3 weeks.

Secondly, I need to make a cheap stove pad. The stove is an older Dutchwest, so I need a K value .84 (BTU*IN)/(FT^2*HR*deg_F) and overall dimensions of 55" x 44".

Any hearth building materials would be appreciated. Appearence is not of utmost important here, but I am going to try and find some tile or brick to lay on top of the hearth pad.

Thanks!

I live in the great Philly area, but my parents also live in Northeast PA. I'm open to driving almost anywhere for the right supplies, so please let me know!!

-Corie

Craig,

These stoves that I'm installing are used thus far. This first Dutchwest is my parents old stove that is being replaced this year by my new stove. The second stove is a Vigilant that was given to me by Harley. Third stove is a wood/coal unit that I was given in exchange for repairing the smoke shelf and doing some refurb work on another stove.

I'm constantly looking for more stoves, since putting my initial ad on craigslist, I've received something like 55 letters from families. Most of them are families in need, but there have been a few people offering me more units. It's really hard for me to grab these stoves because I don't have a truck, but I'm working through it as best I can. Also, Eric who was given 117 cords of wood and I have been in touch and he is going to let (hopefully) me come to that lot and process firewood which I'll then be able to distribute to these families that I give stoves to.

I was at Lowes yesterday looking at the real cheap century plate steel stoves. They are only asking like 400 bucks for them- If I could set something up with CFM, it would be awesome if I could buy a few of them at their cost and then distribute them to these families because there are soo many.

Also, some professors from Villanova suggested that I put together a presentation and show it to the university in hopes that they would supply me with funding, and use of their vehicles, etc. I've been spread so thin already though between school and work, that I haven't really had a chance to get to that.

So in advance, thank you Craig for the donation you're offering and ANYONE else that can help in anyway would be so much appreciated. After talking to this first woman today and seeing not only how needy she is, but how gracious she was for me taking the time to help her makes me think this cause needs a lot more attention.

-Corie

Elk has connection at VC/CFm and they already offered stove but we had hard time finding home (with everything else on our plates).

PM Elky

OH, btw, a low cost trailer - like those from local makers or Harbor Freight (less then $300) are great for hauling stuff around with a car. Having had trucks my whole life, I was scared after I sold my business that I would not be able to haul anything. Between my Subaru roof racks and my little trailer, I can still haul 90% of what I need.

I will also contact my old store and connections in South Jersey - they very likely have scratched stove pipe and other stuff around that they would be willing to donate.

Getting materials and money might be the easiest part- it's always the boots on the ground (qualifiers, installers) that are hardest. I can see it now - The Habitat of Humanity of Heat. Next thing you know, we'll have Clinton out there setting up photo ops with him screwing stove pipe together (3 screws as per Elk).

OH, you got me thinking - I'm fairly certain that I can get you an account at a wholesaler so you can order this stuff at a discount! You can place orders online and stuff will be shipped to you UPS. Then again, if the big boxes or plumbing supply houses near you have this stuff, the prices are similar to wholesale.

Craig,

Thank you again for the donation. Again, anything that you could get me would be appreciated so much. I've emailed a few retailers who I thought might be able to help with some scratch and dent items and I think I'm going to revamp my school homepage to showcase what we're doing here and also to try and get more stoves, funds, supplies and help.

A wholesaler account that could save us money in these installations would also be great. Basically, anything ANYONE can give would be great. There are so many that are in financial need, I can't even tell you the stories I've read in these emails and how sad they are. I want to help every single person but the only way to do that will be with lots of help!

Corie I have 3 such situations here not as much a hard luck story, but ones that really would like to burn cleaner by replacing cheap old 70's vintage stoves. They do not have replacement in their budgets but could really use them. One receipants was going to be the donor last year. The guy I helped out when he had a series of Opperations and long recovery I also gave him 4 cords of wood I would check in every day load his stove and bring up enough his wife could reload it later. I have patched his 1988 Defient Encore to the point It needs a total rebuild But he has the the replacement plates I have refactoried the original cracked ones. I will be finding a good home for his stove once I rebuild it .

I know MSG has a situation there he could use a stove and I know about yours Iam contacting VC to see if the if the offer is still good.

Question to forum members, Should I request the steel plate Dutchwest stoves. they also have a dutchwest insert and not ask for too much and push their good will? As it is I could use 3 stoves here MSG one? Corie??? I have to make the call real soon I have scoped out all situations and they are prime installs no clearance issues

elkimmeg said:
Question to forum members, Should I request the steel plate Dutchwest stoves. they also have a dutchwest insert and not ask for too much and push their good will? As it is I could use 3 stoves here MSG one? Corie??? I have to make the call real soon I have scoped out all situations and they are prime installs no clearance issues

Don't forget the CFM stoves. The have an insert version too. That would get them the good will and not dent the corporate pocket book as much.

It doesn't have to be made in Bethel to keep the house warm.

Yea, my guy could use some, if one comes through he will have about 3 years of wood instead of one. He is almost done splitting his tenth cord. All he has is a fireplace with a small opening, i need to go over and measure for him.

Might be that my contact in VC is the head of Bethel opperations. What about factory seconds? say blemished. I do not know if he can offer what he does not produce? Yes centry stoves would be a possibility. This whole situation has to be sorted out Centry stoves anr for box stores Ther might be agreements in place that may prevent such considerations I do know the Dutchwest a steel plate are cheaper than the Cast iron ones. If a lot of good will comes out of this for VC then it might be to their advantage for publicity sake to have a decent looking stove highlighted Homedepot is not going to sponsor a hyandi for nascar

MountainStoveGuy said:
Yea, my guy could use some, if one comes through he will have about 3 years of wood instead of one. He is almost done splitting his tenth cord. All he has is a fireplace with a small opening, i need to go over and measure for him.

Check out the dutchwest DW2500X01 face plate 44 1/8W 31" H. Down load the manual to check the actual stove size
got to run work beckens

Elk I might be able to help out with some cord wood if its not to far away.

Hello Corie,

I would be happy to send some Super Cedar Firestarters. I could ship a few cases of these to you possibly and you could disperse as you see fit.
Thomas

Well I know you guys aren't close by but just to keep the spirit of it rolling along. I am pretty sure I will be donating some wood this winter....since I have a couple trees to chop up and am just about out of space to put the stuff in. I can't even make use of all the mulch I've created with my splitting.

Thomas,

A few small supplies of the fire starters would be awesome. These two first families haven't ever burned wood before, so these firestarters would certainly be a big help for them in getting things rolling. Plus, after reading what your starters are doing for cat stoves, they'll be an even bigger help for the lady getting my old cat combustor stove.

I also wanted to tell you I got my own samples today. I'm super excited to try them and I have a funny feeling I'm going to be ordering a case for myself this winter.

Thanks

Corie

Guys listen, I know no one has a stove to donate, but if there is anyway someone can exercise some pull and get me one of those $400 dollar century stoves from Lowes, it would be amazing. Another family is in need and I have spoken with the mother who is disabled. She is a very sweet lady and they are seriously in need of heating help. If anyone has a way to get one of these stoves on a discount, that would be amazing. I'm going to try and search for some funds, because I need to get money for all the pipe hook ups for these installs.

Also, firewood is needed. If anyone is near the greater Philly area and would like to donate some wood, I would be willing to come process it and rent a truck for the day to move it around. Many of these families have gathered wood, but don't realize the amount it will take to heat their houses for the winter.

IF anyone can think of anything, please let me know!

-Corie

Corie I finally contacted VC I believe the centry stoves and made in the pacific basin then imported her for retail.

they are not available at Bethel VC only the cast iron ones. What I have been offered is retouched up stoves new never burned in.
This program has to get off the ground for it to suceed. It is my hope that the more sucessfull it is the more support wiil achieve.
Meaninmg other manufactures jump on board including vent manufactures. Another possibility is getting support from The Hearth
foundation Craig has connections there. Everything depends upon sucess. In one situation I will get a decent VC defiant Encore vintage 1988 a good canidate for rebuilding that too can find a home to some one needy. Another situation where the recepitant is not quite as needy he is willing to finance part of the effort. that monies in turn can be channeled towards future supplies as needed. Supporting your efforts as well. If interested and time allows would you like to participate in the donor program up here in Eastern MA. you could end up with that VE defiant encore. This invitation is to all members if interested. lots of details to be worked out

Craig We have to talk

IT will be a lot easier to garner support went sucessfull execution has occured. Lot easier to twist and arm or two.
Hey Dane are you reading this?. Jotul care for a piece of the good will?. We need Spike to bend PE's arm instead of our ears

ok Don,

What do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Should I contact them directly with photos of the installation that I feel needs the stove?

Retouched up stoves would be fine, it doesn't matter which stoves are donated. I just automatically thought century stoves because of the price.

The idea is to just start - like Corie is going. Last time Elk and I planned it too much and it never happened....we ran into the thing where some people do not want to accept charity. But it's not really charity - after all, they have to burn the stove! And corie gets to learn....

So, Elk, did VC actually agree to donate some stoves? If so, I could help with finding a shipper, place to ship to in Phila area, etc.

I have been a bit backed up - will PM Elk and Corie soon.

got a box of tile,maybe 12 sq ft.nice 12"x12" brown for hearh in York Pa. you pickup. pm me maybe albe to getmore but not matchjng
goodluck and thankyou for tring to helpin need. I beliele this is a hand up nt a hand out
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.