Help! Please help me identify this wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking mulberry so I compared to some I have and the stuff id a bit more green on color , so yesterday I was splitting some wood and came across some that looked very similar with the white outer ring and it's bur oak

The top 2 pics are mulberry and the bottom 2 are bur oak. My vote is bur oak

Attachments

• PB170007.jpg
    PB170007.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 211
  • PB170004.jpg
    PB170004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 224
  • PB070010.jpg
    PB070010.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 204
  • P1010002 Wood 1.jpg
    P1010002 Wood 1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 194
That wood may require a circle singing game, early in the morning, to season and burn correctly.

tfdchief, I couldn't locate the mulberry. I split what I thought was mulberry, but it was was too light in weight and kind of a nondescript light-brownish mystery wood. Really ugly, so I fed it to Beulah.

I did find the hedge, however. It was given to me as "Osage orange", which is the proper name for hedge, right? Anyway, here is a picture of the end grain. The heartwood is quite dark now because it is many years old, but I'll bet it was a lighter color when it was first cut. My experience with most very dense wood is that the heartwood darkens a lot with age due to oxidation. This piece is exceptionally dense. It would make a good billy club. You can see how light the sapwood is, but I have no clue about the nature of the fresh sap since that long ago dried up.

Attachments

• Osage-Orange.jpg
    Osage-Orange.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 170
Battenkiller said:
tfdchief, I couldn't locate the mulberry. I split what I thought was mulberry, but it was was too light in weight and kind of a nondescript light-brownish mystery wood. Really ugly, so I fed it to Beulah.

I did find the hedge, however. It was given to me as "Osage orange", which is the proper name for hedge, right? Anyway, here is a picture of the end grain. The heartwood is quite dark now because it is many years old, but I'll bet it was a lighter color when it was first cut. My experience with most very dense wood is that the heartwood darkens a lot with age due to oxidation. This piece is exceptionally dense. It would make a good billy club. You can see how light the sapwood is, but I have no clue about the nature of the fresh sap since that long ago dried up.
Battenkiller, Yes Osage Orange is Hedge. Thats hedge! If I can cut some fresh hedge I will post a picture. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.