help Please , which is the best way to burn with the Englands N30 Stove (SUMMERS HEAT 50-SNC30)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis 2

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2007
western MA
help Please , which is the best way to burn with the Englands N30 Stove (SUMMERS HEAT 50-SNC30)I just watched the video http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1 on how to burn wood . Is this the best way to go about it ? Should I burn north and south or east and west? If I burn north and south do I rake the coils foward when its time to add more wood? Or do I rake a small ( 1" or 2' ) wide trough on the center east and west and place wood across it!?! Thank you for your help
Dennis 2

Well as to the best way, I burned N/S last night but E/W all day. Ya gotta try'em and decide for yourself. If you burn E/W you have two ways to go. Like Vanessa and drag the coal bed up to the front and put your load behind it with your starter piece on top of the coal bed. Or, like the manual tells you. Build a good coal bed over the floor of the firebox, drag a one to two inch trench in the center front to back in front of the "doghouse" and stack your E/W load on top of the coals. Even then I use the starter piece in front to get the show on the road.

N/S I sometimes drag the coal bed all up front and sometimes I spread it out. No ditch digging with N/S. Just make sure the output from the doghouse is aimed between two splits in the middle and that the ones beside it have an inch of airspace between them.

Leave the door cracked until things are burning good and close it. Gradually lower the air in steps over a fifteen minute or so period, with an already hot stove, until you level out at the stove top temp you want to run at. Takes around an hour for a cold stove. For me that is 500-550. Six if I have screwed up and let the house cool off. Seven-fifty if you fall asleep on the couch like I did starting back up this morning.

Or, take it up to six hundred or so and shut the air down and watch the light show and pray the temps don't go through the roof if you have dry wood. Do it with less than well seasoned wood and your neighbors will not be your friend.

BrotherBart thank you for your help . I just have one Question....what is the " Dog house ? Is it the small square insidethe front of the stove .
Dennis :-S

Dennis 2 said:
BrotherBart thank you for your help . I just have one Question....what is the " Dog house ? Is it the small square insidethe front of the stove .
Dennis :-S

Yep. When the stove is burning E/W the shot of air from the hole in that thing burns right through the center of the stack.

BB, Hit 750????????? tisk tisk Did it break in 1/2???
I'm gonna save this post ;)

Hogwildz said:
BB, Hit 750????????? tisk tisk Did it break in 1/2???
I'm gonna save this post ;)

Second time this year. Getting it welded back together is getting expensive! :coolgrin:

what is EW? and is it better to load front to back or left to right....i'm all messed up with the north and souths..i figure it would be better for a long burn front to back cause you can put more in without worrying about anything rolling out....not sure if that is true or not...haven't lit mine yet..

cmonSTART said:
Don't forget to drag that trench when you load EW. It takes a looong time to get going after that.

Pfff, some of us have no choice but to load E-W thank you very much!

Haha

Corie said:
cmonSTART said:
Don't forget to drag that trench when you load EW. It takes a looong time to get going after that.

Haha

Thats cause you have a lil wussy stove ;)

FJLayes625 said:
what is EW? and is it better to load front to back or left to right....i'm all messed up with the north and souths..i figure it would be better for a long burn front to back cause you can put more in without worrying about anything rolling out....not sure if that is true or not...haven't lit mine yet..

Some us would need 12" splits to burn N/S. Not that it does not happen with some of the misc smaller pieces around - but what gets stacked on top of those is E/W anyway.

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
FJLayes625 said:

Some us would need 12" splits to burn N/S. Not that it does not happen with some of the misc smaller pieces around - but what gets stacked on top of those is E/W anyway.

That Olympic should take North to South loads np. ;)

Some us would need 12" splits to burn N/S. Not that it does not happen with some of the misc smaller pieces around - but what gets stacked on top of those is E/W anyway.[/quote]

That Olympic should take North to South loads np. ;)[/quote]

It 'can' be done but it is by far not a great way to burn IMO. Those splits need to be short - much shorter than the potential 24"ers that fit for an E/W burn. The outside dimension is only about 20" front to back - so with the bricks in back and the lip in the doghouse and lip inside the front, I think 14-16" max. It does look great when that air cuts a red hot wormhole in the center of the N/S stack.

Corie said:
Haha
That means.. it's time for you to rectify that situation. Something a little bigger than the F602... N/S loading... better than the Aspen... you can do it, Corie! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.