Help please with pellet insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishingnut

Mar 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
I have really appreciated the forum, as I have researched pellet stove options. Last fall I moved into 2000 sq/ft ranch home with full finished basement outside of Wichita, KS. It had nothing but propane for heat. It has been very costly to get through this first winter. In the basement there is a decorative propane fire place. I thought I could just rip that out, and put in a pellet insert. I was discouraged to find that the propane flue goes up to the floor joist, makes a 90 and then runs horizontal for what must be 16 to 20 feet, before making a 90 and going 20 plus feet vertical to get out of the roof. No way to vent a pellet stove through that if I understand correctly. My only other option is to cross a mechanical room behind where the stove would set. I took a tape and measured that it was 14 feet from where the flue comes out of the propane stove, on an angle across the mechanical room up to where I could punch through to outside right above ground level. Can I vent a pellet stove that far on an angle to get outside?

a better way to ask the question is; what is the minimum rise to run on a pellet stove vent?
Non of the manufacturers allow for horizontal runs of any distance even with a moderate rise. Best is a short horizontal of 2ft or less and then go vertical. Or vertical and out. If you are installing deep inside the space, fairly centered in other words, then they make venting for running up through the house. There is always a way but a long inclining horizontal is not one of them.

Why not forget about the fireplace and install a free standing unit close to a wall where venting would be viable?

Reactions: Owen1508
So it sounds like free standing is the only option? What would happen if I attempted the horizontal flue. It would have about a foot of rise for every 18 inches of run.
Thanks for the help!

It's really not worth messing with converting the fireplace. Keep it for the aesthetics and put in something that will exhaust correctly and therefore burn correctly. Just my opinion. If you hadn't said initially that your basement, which sounded like you used it a lot, I would have suggested that you look for a suitable spot upstairs where you spend most of your time.

Most stove mfg's say 4 foot max horizontal.
Yes and they don't really mean that either, they prefer a shorter run ( 4 ft is generally listed as least preferred). Reasons being lazy draft, easily plugged up, lot's of ash. Most manufacturers like 2 ft or less as ideal and still prefer a vertical rise in the exhaust rig at that. I've never heard of anyone considering 18 ft of moderate ( inclining) horizontal run, much less doing it even on an incline.

Thanks for all the help. I will just have to investigate an alternative. I didn't realize the amount of ash the pellet units put up the flue. What does everyone think of the ducked units out of Europe?

Another question that I am starting to search the forum for is in reguard to shutting down the stove during the day and at night when we are at work and asleep. Does a pellet unit take so much time to start heating the space that this approach really isn't the right way to go?

Thanks again.

Have not heard anything bad about ducted units,also think that there may be ones made over here,also ducted pellet furnaces.I use mine as a wood stove(off when I go to work)when the weather is right,like today,40's,cabin gets southern sun.64 upstairs when got home,started stove(in basement)about 2 hours to raise upstairs to 69-70.But I have small cabin,24' square,3 floors.You cannot do this if lots of air leaks or cut up house.Getting older,and thinking of smaller upstairs stove for shoulder season,self lighting.If you have forced air,may want to consider a pellet furnace or a mini-split.

Thanks for all the help. I will just have to investigate an alternative. I didn't realize the amount of ash the pellet units put up the flue. What does everyone think of the ducked units out of Europe?

Depends on what pellet type your are burning to determine the amount of ash. Little or no ash on snow under our short horizontal exhaust while burning softwoods, had to switch to hardwoods and now the snow is grey...

I have a ducted European stove (Ravelli Ecoteck Elena) but unfortunately have not tried the ducting option since they only recommend a 10' run. Next year it will be repositioned so that option can be used and it's twin put in the living room.

Drolet and Enviro has plenum kits for ducting. Since the Drolet one that I saw detracts from it's looks, it is not something you would want in a more formal living space.

Pellet boilers are available - Harman, Pellergy, Windhager, ... I'm sure there are others but not sure on availability in KS.

Check with your local stove shops. Northern tool carries the drolet 65s....

Another question that I am starting to search the forum for is in reguard to shutting down the stove during the day and at night when we are at work and asleep. Does a pellet unit take so much time to start heating the space that this approach really isn't the right way to go?

Thanks again.
Shut it down for what ? I don't shut it down except to clean it ! My Harman P61a runs 24/7, if I don't do that then the oil heat will come on and that grates on my gut.

Thanks again.
The problem with shutting them off and letting the temperature drop is that not only does the room temperature drop, but the walls, furniture, and carpeting also drop in temperature and become heat sinks when you turn the stove back on. Since the stoves are only a fraction of the btu capability of your main furnace, they have to work their guts off trying to bring the temperatures back up. If you go this route, then make sure you set the thermostat to come back on several hours before you get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.