1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    Okay so the chimney installer came today and he told me he will do a 90° elbow 2 ft above the stove through the wall thimble than a 4 foot horiizontal run to the tee. Then straight up passed the gutter with wall brackets. There will be no 30° offsets passed the gutter. He will go up 18 ft straight up passed the glitter from the tee. I think that will help with draft.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I want to see this glitter, and I may want to know where to buy it.

Wood stove glitter .... now that's an awesome idea !!

;lol

**sorry, had too**
    PapaDave and firefighterjake like this.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stove bling. Gamma will like that.
    PapaDave and Joful like this.
  4. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    it's nice with pink sparkles lol. Should of checked my post.
    Hope all goes well.
  5. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    I think I might have started something. Who will put up the money I will come up with the glitter, butterflys and pink hearts for all thos who want bling. In reality will this be a better set up,than before.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  6. ridemgis

ridemgis Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Oh man, BrotherBart is definitely yoda! Grumpy but wise. ;>)
  7. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY

“Feel the force!”
  8. ridemgis

ridemgis Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Another plug for finding a way to go straight up: I'm a newbie with a pretty free breathing stove who was faced with building a chase through the bedroom above or taking a couple of twists and turns around an existing chimney and the roof soffit. I can tell you that I stressed over it for weeks before accepting the reality of function before form.

Straight up was (and is) the way to go. With a 24 foot total flue height, I do have a little too much draft on a cold day, but that is far more desirable than the alternative. And despite being new to wood burning, I got through the first season with only a couple cups of creosote accumulation.

So I'm with bag of hammers, find a place for the stove where you can do it right and you won't be disappointed!

PJ
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Even a pipe up thru a second floor room can work. Here's a house we were looking at before we bought our current place. 6400 sq.ft., very high-end restoration of a 1740's mill, so we ain't exactly talking trailer park, here.

P8150178.JPG

Unfortunately, I searched my collection of photos on this house, and could not find an actual photo of the pipe going thru the master bedroom. It was simply a brightly polished section of double or triple wall pipe, no chase, but nicely finished with floor and ceiling flanges. Probably gave off a little heat into the bedroom, when the stove was cranking.

This place was 4 stories, so it was one heck of a run of pipe! The soffets / gutters were 53 feet above the lawn, according to the people who had done the roof.
    Trilifter7 and Sprinter like this.
  10. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Joyful that is a nice looking room. That house must have been sweet. The flanges are a great idea.
  11. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    Looks really nice, But the pipe will be in the middle of the room. I can't change the room anyway to get a straight run. So it looks like it will have to be a 90 to the thimble to the tee then up 18 ft and hope for the best. I know I will really have to heat up the chimney before I get a fire going.
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Did you determine if two 45's rather than two 90's is feasable?

I looked up the manual on this stove: http://www.napoleonproducts.com/downloads/fireplaces/manuals/W415-0763.pdf
    and sure enough, on page 14, they do seem to allow 8 to 10 feet of horizontal run and two 90's. Makes me wonder if it's a typo and they meant inches, but that is what they say.
  13. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It sounds like you have an installer that understands the issues. With 18' of vertical pipe outside it could draft ok once warmed up. Use double-wall on the connector to keep the flue gases hot. The key challenge now will be the wood. Get boxes of dry construction or cabinetry scraps and order up some SuperCedars for easier hotter starts. And do your darndest to get the driest wood possible, even if it costs more this year.
    Trilifter7 and Joful like this.
  14. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    Yes, me and the installer both went over our options and he said the best would be a 90° out the wall to the tee straight up 18 ft. The stove pipe will be double insulated all the way out. I am even doing black double insulated inside. You are absolutely right about to get good wood this year I probably will have to pay more money. but I have to do it right and make sure I have good draft with well seasoned wood. I understand now how important good wood means. About tho's superceder for starting fires. They Contain wax and whatever else. will that put any coating on my new pipe inside that I would have to worry about. I was thinking about those catering burners that go on the bottom tray to use to heat up.

Yes sprinter about the 45's, he said the 90 will be fine and it looks better. Just that I have to heat up the pipe well before I start a fire. Also about the napoleon manual, I am surprised too that a horizontal run could be so long and be ok. I guess it would be okay if the manual said you can go that long. so I think my setup should work just fine then. I hope.
  15. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Super cedars are not simple parrafin pucks. They burn for a very long time and cleanly. They won't affect the flue. Blaze King packs a sample in with their cat stoves.
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I'll just double up with begreen regarding SuperCedars. They seem to be the favorite commercial starter on this forum. And the DIY'ers here make wax-based starters all the time with shavings or dryer lint. You only need 1/4 of a disc.

With a marginal draft, you may want to consider using the "top-down" method of starting, with the kindling on top and let the fire burn down to the larger fuel. It may get the flue hot quicker that way. It's a common and successful method for stoves.
  17. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    Thank you guys for your advice and i will get a couple of boxs of superceder. Also will look for some cabinetry scraps from the local cabinet factory. Now I am in the hunt for fire wood. I want to get at least 2 to 3 cords for this year. I will try that top down methed of starting sounds good. Thank you agian for all of your advice and help i appreciated it very much. I am sure you guys will be helping me down the road when I try and fine tune my stove for Optimum performance. Pic's soon.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  18. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
  19. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The first looks a little better but all are questionable except for the Envi bricks. You don't measure moisture on the end grain. Resplit that split and test it in the middle of the freshly exposed face of wood.
    Joful likes this.
  20. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    All taken directly from Craigs list. I'm voucheing for no one on this thread, firewood dealer wise, except the Envi bricks. They are still way cheaper than oil, and you can mix in some not so great firewood with them.
  21. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

OMG bro, what a beautiful room!
  22. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    Thanks for the Craig list ad's, I am going to look at a couple of places today to see if they really have dry wood. I also ordered 48 superceder pucks today for $35 delivered. Is that an ok price.
  23. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Did you get the 10% hearth.com discount? You will find that you only need a quarter of the SuperCedar to start the fire if you have good kindling. Or two quarters at the most if you are in a hurry.
  24. Treemoss

Treemoss Member

Loc:
    LI NY
    I tried the hearth 10% off and they said it was no longer available. Wow only need a quater of apiece for each start with kindlin.That means I really have 192 starts not 48. Now that's a deal.
  25. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Super Cedars are awesome !!