Help! Putting gas heat in a micro-tiny Edwardian era fireplace (Pics now attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventless might be a good way to go. They make 10k btu units, which might be the best size for your application. I'd be a little concerned about moisture seeing how you're in FL, but you might know better than I would if this is a rational fear or not (I'd think so).

If you were to vent something, I'd suggest posting some pictures so we can see what you're dealing with. No need to line the chimney with concrete. An insulated flexible SS liner (316ti) would probably do the job. As to what to use for a burning appliance, have you considered just buying some bagged coal and burning it to keep with tradition? You could also burn wood in there as well. You might be able to find some type of a gas log set or insert to fit in there, but I know very little about this so hopefully someone else could give more guidance here. If you really are interested in going gas, you might want to have this moved to the Gas sub-forum as those guys might be of more help.

Edit... thanks for posting some pics.

I'm not a big fan of ventless heaters . . . 1) for the moisture and 2) for the products of combustion. While ventless heaters should have little of the bad stuff (including CO) my theory is that if anything goes wrong and they're not burning completely the only place for the CO to go is inside the home . . . and even when they are running correctly the only place for the moisture to go is . . . yup . . . once again . . . inside the home.

They may have a place for someone who is looking for the occasional, short-lived fire . . . but personally I wouldn't want to use one as a heating unit. It's also worth noting that Maine no longer allows ventless gas units in homes where young children are present . . .

Where can I find some information about those 10K BTU units you mentioned?

Do a search on google, they are out there... By code an input rating not exceeding 6,000 Btu/hr. in a bathroom or 10,000 Btu/hr. in a bedroom can be installed, so several manufacturer's make models in that size just to meet bedroom applications. Pro Com, Vail, and I'm sure others make 10k btu units.

Status
Not open for further replies.