Help-Quadra Fire CB 1200 incorrect operation/brand new

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tallenjr

Feb 6, 2011
PA
Ok here goes...Just purchased a Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200, brand new, after all of my research. I just hooked it up yesterday at approximately 2pm. It came with a cheap little thermostat, which i think might be a part of the problem, but i'm not sure. Here is my main issue. The call light is on the stove, meaning the thermostat wants the stove to turn on. The stove DOES turn on, and DOES operate for about an hour or two, at full blast, or what ever setting i turn it on. The stove is amazing, and throws wonderful heat, for about an hour or two. The stove, for some reason, shuts off, and by off i mean stops dropping pellets, and stops making a fire, but continues to blow air until the stove is cool, then shuts completely down. EVEN THOUGH THE CALL LIGHT REMAINS ON THE WHOLE TIME. The stove shuts off. I'm under the impression that if the stove's call light is on, it doesn't stop running. I'm not sure where my problem is. In fact, the only way that i know how to fix the problem, (when call light is on, and stove is not making fire), is to unplug the unit from the wall for a few moments, then plug back it. It automatically feeds the pellets (no need to push reset button), ans starts the fire, and roars to life, then runs great for an hour or two. Then the whole process repeats itself. I think i might have a shady, thermostat, but as i mentioned, the call light is on, and the stove is not running. I've followed the owners manual for troubleshooting, and not one time in there does it say anything about the intermittent operation of the stove, let alone resetting it by unplugging it. I don't see how any of the issues in the troubleshooting section pertain to me. Any help is greatly appreciated. The whole thing is under warranty, as i bought it yesterday and i will call store/manufature about this issue, on monday, b/c who's going to work on superbowl sunday? Go PITTSBURGH!! and i figure forums are usually a great idea for help on issues, as someone has probably encountered this issue before. Thanks in advance for any help!

Try taking the thermostat out of the equation. Put wire jumper in its place and see how long it will run.

If your call light is on, your thermostat is not the problem.

When you are running in high, how tall is your flame on average? I realize that it goes up and down quite a bit, but on average it should be about 4" above the burn pot on my units. I would assume it's the same on the 1200. It could be that you are feeding too much fuel and the over temperature snap disc is shutting it down. I've never had that happen to me, but it's a possibility.

The other possibility is that you have pellets that are very long, meaning 1 1/2" or more. If your feed gate is closed too much, they would bridge over at the input to the auger and stop flow. OR they would bridge over at the top of the feed chute and clog up the auger. This is happening to me a lot right now as I work off some really bad pellets! After the stove shuts off and cools down, take a flashlight and small mirror and look up the feed chute. You should see nothing but the auger, which is essentially a spring. Besides pellets blocking the chute, I have had a metal warning label that WAS poorly attached to the inside of the hopper get wadded up there, I've had pieces of wood, packing 'peanuts', etc. If your pellets are all around 1/4 to 1" long, this should not be the problem but it's still worth looking.

It sounds like you did the install yourself. Can you describe how you have it vented? Perhaps you have too many bends and length and have exceeded the recommendations, which would restrict the combustion air and, again, result in possible overheating or loss of vacuum (which will stop the feeding). How does your flame look? Is it like looking into a blast furnace down in the pot with some blue flame or is the flame kind of lazy with not a lot of brisk jumping flames?

When the fire goes out, and the stove cools down, the call light is still on? Or does it go out once the stove shuts down? What temp is your thermostat set for? How far away from the stove is the thermostat?
Could it be the stove reaches the desired room temp and its just shutting itself down. (Normal operation). Either put the jumper wire on the back as stated above. Or set the Thermostat to 90 or as high as it will go.

He said "EVEN THOUGH THE CALL LIGHT REMAINS ON THE WHOLE TIME. The stove shuts off. I’m under the impression that if the stove’s call light is on, it doesn’t stop running." Sure sounds like the call light stays on, but it won't hurt to clarify.

tjnamtiw said:
He said "EVEN THOUGH THE CALL LIGHT REMAINS ON THE WHOLE TIME. The stove shuts off. I’m under the impression that if the stove’s call light is on, it doesn’t stop running." Sure sounds like the call light stays on, but it won't hurt to clarify.
That's all I wanted to know, Stove Off... Light On.. I know that what he wrote, but he just got this stove.
Did not mean to undermine you or him. Just making sure it isn't the simplest of things, such as Thermo is done calling for heat and stove goes into normal shutdown.
Trying the jumper will be the best bet.. Eliminating the thermo all together. I never bothered to hook up that Generic Thermo that came with it.
Hope it stays running for you. Warm nights (especially Warm Super Bowl nights) are Great!!

If its new, its under a really good warranty, let them deal with it..

The only time my red call light stays on when the thermostat has not reached temperature is when the hopper is out of pellets OR if the pellets don't slide all the way to the auger and the stove "thinks" it's out of pellets.

Are you sure it's not a pellet feeding issue?

1-2 hours, strange one, please let us know what they find.

Warranties are great things .....

Status
Not open for further replies.