Help -- Question, New Ashford Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used it plenty but not on the stove. Didn't even think to do that. Look forward to turning it loose on the stove. Now when will Fall get here already?
Just wait till you do..I'm so compulsive about it now that anytime I get near the stove I usually shoot the stove in a few places..lol.
I'm in no hurry to start burning yet..hell no!

Will give me something to do with my temp gun. :)
Put a surface thermo on the outside of the stove somewhere that there's no convection air space, maybe the front somewhere, get the stove heated up and leveled off (without the cat engaged,) and note the temp on the surface thermo. Then open the door and shoot the inside top of the firebox from down low. Then you can see how the surface thermo corresponds to actual stove top temp.

Yep,most say to double the outside reading..i dunno.

You've convinced me. Ordering the probe now.
I've got many hundreds of dollar in chimney.; I like to make sure I'm not stressing it. ==c
Yep,most say to double the outside reading..i dunno.
That's pretty close on the Buck if I'm ramping up on a new load, before I close the bypass. I've got the thermo on the front, about where the top of the firebox intersects the front. I've seen the thermo get over 500 with the cat cranking, but I don't want to open the door at that point to shoot around different areas of the top, might shock the cat. Guess I could disengage for a minute, then open the door and still get fairly true stove top readings. The thermo is fairly close to the cat, so it may be a little hotter in front than it is further back, I don't know...

That's awesome. My glass got really dirty in the short time it was running. Have been thinking of running a razor blade over it but I want to make sure it's safe to do so. Has to be; it's glass for crying out loud. Glass designed to withstand super high temperatures. Am I right?
I only cleaned my glass a few times all winter. I was the cleanest glass on average of any stove Ive used so far! It is either your wood, or its weather related.

My wife, after some urging and coaching from our interior decorator, put the kibosh on the probe so that's not happening. Oh well.

I've not noticed mine glowing yet but the chimney shows no smoke at all after a while so the cat must be engaged.
That's exactly right. The cat Does Not need to be glowing in order to take care of business. It will glow like frickin crazy for a few weeks, then it backs off as it breaks in. It still works fine, it just won't glow as much. Also the Ashford has a steel cat, so it will act different than most other BKs. It's very different than a Princess or a King, so don't expect the same results that others are posting unless its an Ashford with a similar climate and chimney.

My wife, after some urging and coaching from our interior decorator, put the kibosh on the probe so that's not happening.
Time to TTBTR. ;lol Or you could put it on the back of the pipe where she can't see it. ;) You have an interior decorator? We had to do it all ourselves and decided to go with a quaint, rustic look. My contributions so far have been to swat blood-filled mosquitoes on the ceiling and stack about a week's worth of firewood on either side of the stove. That's a start, but now I need more ideas... ==c

My wife, after some urging and coaching from our interior decorator, put the kibosh on the probe so that's not happening. Oh well.
Say what?
Surely you jest.
It should have nothing to do with interior design,but everything to do with safety and just to know what's up.
You don't want to low of a stack temp nor to high. You can glance at the gauge and have a real good idea of what's going on.
Will a co2 alarm be allowed in the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.