Help removing PE Summit Insert surround panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2autoxr

Nov 1, 2008
Dexter, MI
I'm trying to remove the side panels on my insert with no luck. There is a thin metal trim on the outside that I can lift up about 3/4 of the way but not all the way off.

I also got the screws off on the inside of the 2 side panels. But these panels don't want to move.

Can anyone help explain how to do this?

Depending on the year and body style, you must first remove the upper top plate. On the newer models it has a wing nut on each side to loosen and slide the top plate forward off the bolt forks that it mounts to.
The older style is similar with a standard nut instead of the wing nut. Then, if newer model, loosen the two screws on the side vents(one upper, one lower) and remove the side vents. This gives access to the screws holding the surround on, which are mounted to brackets on both sides of the outer casing if I remember correctly. On the older models, you may need to remove the bottom ash lip panel also, which is two bolts underneath it, prior to removing the side vents. If memory serves me correct, the older models have the side vent lower screws under the lower ash lip panel, which cannot be accessed until the ash lip panel is removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.