Help! Replacement advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timslucas

Jul 8, 2015
Lansdale pa usa
we are replacing a 35 year old Jotul #1 Combifire. One reason is I'm getting tired of making 12 inch logs. We've been looking at contemporary cylindrical stoves, e.g. Jotul F-370, Morso, Rais. We are wrestling with the newer secondary combustion and smaller fire box, along with that these new stoves all seem to take logs about the same size as our beloved jotul.
We are looking for a stove with decent sized firebox (1.5 cu ft or so) a log length about 15 or 16 inches in a contemporary design.anysuggestions device experience would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the Hearthstone Bari?
In my opinion these stoves are all form over function, unlike your comb-fire. I'm not sure you will be as pleased, I'd look into more traditional Woodstove designs.

Agreed, while at the Jotul dealer take time to look at their other stoves. In Morso maybe the 2110? Also look at the Pacific Energy Fusion and the Regency Alterra line and maybe the Osburn Matrix.

How large an area will the stove be heating? Do you want to heat 24/7 or more nights and weekends?

Last edited:
A stove under 2 cu ft firebox size will have trouble giving you an overnight burn maybe with the exception of the BlazeKing Chinook 20 due to its catalyst and its therefore lower burn rate. It will really depend what your heating goal with the stove is: primary heat source or supplemental heat/ambiance.

In addition to the mentioned models you could take a look at:
Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 and 2.5
Hwam Monet
Scan Andersen 10 or the Gray 5-2
Rais stoves
Wittus Cosmo series

Take also a look at Obadiah woodstoves. They carry some (other) European lines that may be of interest to you. I hope you are also aware that those curved panoramic glasses are pretty expensive to replace. Not to mention that those European stoves have a pretty hefty price tag most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.