Help replacing ignitor Harmon Advance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firelady

Jan 27, 2009
Western MA
Need to replace ignitor on a Harmon advance. I have the part just don't know where to start.
Have side door, and access panel off but looks like the wires go far back. Any Help??
Thanks

With the access panels off:

1. From the back of the stove, clip the wire ties to free up the yellow and blue igniter wires.
Note: Don't remove the plug where the yellow and blue wires go into.

2. Unfasten enough of the wire ties to get about 12-14” of slack in the blue and yellow wire.
3. Remove the ash pan.
4. Loosen wing nuts on the igniter cover. You just need to gain access to the two 5/16” screws that hold the igniter.
5. Remove the two igniter screws with a 5/16" socket. With the screws removed, the igniter drops down.
6. Slowly and carefully draw the igniter out and down. You may have to work from both the front and back of the stove.
Note: Pay attention to the high temperature insulation on the wires.

7. Disconnect the spade connectors from the old igniter and reconnect the new igniter.
8. Go to the back of the stove and begin to draw the blue/yellow wires back.
9. Next is an important point of this replacement, and this is not an exaggeration!
All of the yellow and blue wires MUST be drawn back to the rubber plug. The igniter has heat-tolerant insulation (white w/blue bands).
The yellow/blue wire is NOT heat resistant and will melt with very serious consequences!

10. Pull these all the way back!
11. Replace the igniter cover.
12. Replace all access panels.

You can always count on codebum for the info. But, make sure it is unplugged first!

Kudos to codebum! Great link with instructions.
This is very handy for anyone with an ignitor on their Harman stove.
Deserves a sticky

Thanks for the help. Was a lot easier than we thought. Only problem is that the black plug came out, but figure we can just add some high temp sealant and put it back in. Too bad harman couldn't put this information in their manual. Once again thanks for the quick reply.

Harman does have the owners manuals on their site and should have something about ignitors on there. Good job to the man in red tights.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Harman does have the owners manuals on their site and should have something about ignitors on there. Good job to the man in red tights.

Eric

Thanks Eric, you are right about Harman having manuals on thier site as well as a lot of good information. Unfortunately I think its hard for most people to find it. Once I discovered the information I saved it all locally so I can access it more quickly.

firelady; I am glad to hear that all is well!

firelady said:
Need to replace ignitor on a Harmon advance. I have the part just don't know where to start.
Have side door, and access panel off but looks like the wires go far back. Any Help??
Thanks

hey if its 3yrs or less its still covered under warranty..just lettin ya know

HarmanP68 said:
firelady said:
Thanks

hey if its 3yrs or less its still covered under warranty..just lettin ya know

As long as the warranty paperwork was completed or transfered for a second owner.

Eric

Do those same instructions apply for a Accentra-2 ignition?
Thanks for the link, it's great.

I think it applies to the following:

Advance, P61A, Accentra, Accentra Insert, P68, XXV

The PC45 is different but the instructions are available for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.